cowsharks

Wow. I could only dream of being this organized, methodical, etc. Kudo's to you guys for being so well organized right from the get-go as new fossil collectors. I would think that this sort of thing would only come after years of experience. I really liked your thoughts on not becoming a fossil horder. Now that I have tens of thousands of sharks teeth, I refrain from collecting teeth I don't "need", and isntead, donate alot to friends, coworkers, kids, etc.

Daryl.

Fossildude19

Michael,

Kudos to you on your well thought out strategies. I'll echo Daryl's words, - wish I was this organized!

Your methods are working, and that is the greatest testament to the successful implementation you are practicing.

I think all newbies should read this, and try to emulate at least some of your practices.

You and Nancy are obviously a great team, and I look forward to your continued success and "paleontological " growth.

I enjoy your posts, and am learning things along with you.

Regards,

Auspex

This is an exemplary "post game report", and will benefit all collectors who read it. I am going to pin it to assure that more do!

hitekmastr

Thanks for your kind words - it makes the effort worthwhile and encourages us to keep sharing whatever insights we stumble across.

Terry Dactyll

Regarding fossil collecting you ' Took to it like ducks to water '... is the saying...I look forward to seeing some of your choice fossil displays... Great to have you on board....

svillej

Enjoyed your presentation at the DVPS meeting.

Bullsnake

You are an inspiration! Now, if I can conjur up half the discipline...

mzkleen

Great post Michael!! Thank you for sharing.

Bev

GREAT POST! So informative. Please consider posting some of your mounted and framed fossils for inspiration to us all! THANK YOU!

Dave (POM) Allen

thats amazing totally organized i keep forgetting to take sticking plasters

hitekmastr

GREAT POST! So informative. Please consider posting some of your mounted and framed fossils for inspiration to us all! THANK YOU!

I promise to post some displays as soon as we finish some. We took some Riker mounts to the Delaware Valley Paleo Society to show as part of our presentation and they turned out really great - I just received a case of deeper (2 inch) mounts and will be experimenting with those - in some cases the heavier larger pieces need to have velcro on the back and I just stick the velcro to the Riker cotton just to keep things from slipping and sliding, although I still have to keep things pretty flat (not vertical). Working on vertical framed versions that can be hung on the wall while keeping the fossils in position. Also, with my new Dremel, I hope to drill some precision holes in the Deer Lake and other "shell aggregation" pieces to mount on platforms. Also, musing this week about what a "fossil art" sculpture might look like if there were several pieces arranged like a multiple-rock sculpture with the individual pieces all on some kind of vertical rods that allow them to be turned for inspection - this would be more complex but thinking about how this might work. This is because one 5 or 8 inch rock doesn't look like much although it looks nice mounted as I described, but 4 or 5 rocks that size covered with fossils, viewable on all sides by turning on axles, that would be a larger piece of "fossil art" and more appealing. So that's what I'm thinking about as a winter project and I'll post some photos if I succeed - well, okay - I'll post some pictures even if I don't succeed!

hitekmastr

thats amazing totally organized i keep forgetting to take sticking plasters

Enjoyed reading about your fossilized bird skulls!

Dave (POM) Allen

Enjoyed reading about your fossilized bird skulls!

more to follow

astron

Exemplary post indeed and helpful so for the new, as for us older collectors!

Congratulations to both members of your powerful team, Michael!

''...We also like solving puzzles so eventually we would like to find things that help add to the fossil record in areas where there are still questions or missing links...''

And please add my island to your program. :)

hitekmastr

Exemplary post indeed and helpful so for the new, as for us older collectors!

Congratulations to both members of your powerful team, Michael!

''...We also like solving puzzles so eventually we would like to find things that help add to the fossil record in areas where there are still questions or missing links...''

And please add my island to your program. :)

Thank you so much - we are especially enjoying meeting so many new friends from different parts of the world who share the same interest, enthusiasm and are trying to solve many of the same problems. Fossil collecting is the ultimate global network since many of the geological formations and fossil beds extend across the U.S., Europe, Asia and other parts of the world and many of us in different countries are looking at the same formations, fossils, and trying to answer the same questions. It's great fun and opens windows every day on parts of our pre-history that were previously invisible or unknown.

Ludwigia

Thank you so much - we are especially enjoying meeting so many new friends from different parts of the world who share the same interest, enthusiasm and are trying to solve many of the same problems. Fossil collecting is the ultimate global network since many of the geological formations and fossil beds extend across the U.S., Europe, Asia and other parts of the world and many of us in different countries are looking at the same formations, fossils, and trying to answer the same questions. It's great fun and opens windows every day on parts of our pre-history that were previously invisible or unknown.

I'll go along with that. It's good to keep in touch.

PennyT.

Come winter, we'll look forward to photos of your fossil mounts like gardeners who drool over seed catalogs while it's snowing outside!

Bonodog12

Thx for Sharing!

Bgoods55

I'm a hoarder.

hitekmastr

I'm a hoarder.

Haha - we all are hoarders in some way. We have a room in our house my wife calls our "fossil museum" where we collect and process our finds but it's getting a bit crowded. We are trying very hard to resist the temptation to collect and hoard fossils in boxes - trying to collect rare or extremely well articulated finds that are unique, trying to make finds that will add to the fossil record, and collecting fossils that can be displayed. We feel that displaying fossils is a cool way of keeping a collection so they don't wind up in boxes and eventually get disposed of.

Salty

Just seen this post...awesomeness! Terrific info....Thank you for sharing!

Edited by Salty

sTamprockcoin

Congrats on the great approach to collecting and displaying. After cleaing out a fossil hoarder's house after she died I'm no longer a hoarder. I grew up in the area where you are now. A great wintertime project is to find a library (normally a university - Ursinus & kutztown might be a starting point for you) that has the PRINTED (much of the online material has had the locality information redacted) volumes from the PA geoloic survey and research possible localities. Don't overlook road cuts you drive by every day - Stop and Look!

Barerootbonsai

Very informative as a nubie, i have book marked the books for buying later maybe chrimbo pressies wanted. look fwd to hearing more.

Peace river rat
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2014 at 3:47 PM, hitekmastr said:

Haha - we all are hoarders in some way. We have a room in our house my wife calls our "fossil museum" where we collect and process our finds but it's getting a bit crowded. We are trying very hard to resist the temptation to collect and hoard fossils in boxes - trying to collect rare or extremely well articulated finds that are unique, trying to make finds that will add to the fossil record, and collecting fossils that can be displayed. We feel that displaying fossils is a cool way of keeping a collection so they don't wind up in boxes and eventually get disposed of.

I am getting a few boxes going, I am goona see if the local library is interested.