Wrangellian

Mt. Tzouhalem (Tzuhalem), Vancouver Island

Wrangellian

I figure it's time I post some pics of my nearest productive spot, Mt Tz(o)uhalem, near Duncan, Van Isl. Upper Santonian Haslam Formation. I was planning to go up today but found I have no vehicle so I'll do this instead!
These were taken last Spring. Haven't gotten around to this til now because editing photos is so laborious. The lighting conditions weren't ideal in every one but I had to take the shots while I was there with camera. The stitching of panoramas is also not ideal because I'm doing it 'manually', ie without the software that will do that for me.

First, what I call the 'Main Lower Pile' (MLP). Everything is dumped in piles here because of the planned development.
post-4372-0-18780500-1348870915_thumb.jpg
Mt. Prevost in background with Quamichan Lake in between. The baby buggy is my Fossil Collecting Machine.

Here is the same one with another pic stitched to show part of the view uphill toward the Upper quarries/piles:
post-4372-0-49223100-1348870936_thumb.jpg

A better view uphill:
post-4372-0-73527100-1348870975_thumb.jpg
As you can see there are houses already going in. There are now more next to this one since the pic was taken. (tick tock)

View from the MLP toward NW:
post-4372-0-70316300-1348871000_thumb.jpg

View from MLP to the north showing some smaller piles among the trees and at the cul-de-sac at the end of Viewtop Rd - fossils are found in all of the piles:
post-4372-0-03681800-1348870649_thumb.jpg

More coming..

Edited by Wrangellian

Wrangellian

After a bit of a climb uphill we reach what I call the Main Upper Quarry and the Main Upper Pile above it on the skyline to the left (there are other smaller quarries/piles scattered around the property). View is roughly to the North. City of Duncan is over the hill beyond the Upper Pile. I live on the left flank of Mt Richards - if it weren't for the trees in the way I could see my house from here!
post-4372-0-22355400-1348872877_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned..

Edited by Wrangellian

Wrangellian

One more for now: The (distorted panoramic) view from the Main Upper Pile... It looks like there is a V-shaped gap in the middle of the pile, but it's actually long and straight (to my left and right).
I need a panoramacamera. :blink:
Hope this fits, it's a bit long..
post-4372-0-99869700-1348874741_thumb.jpg

I think the 'Main Lower Pile' originated mainly in the Lower Quarry and anywhere in between, and the 'Main Upper Pile' came from the Upper Quarry, but I'm not sure. This may or may not have some bearing on stratigraphy, I don't know, but I am recording which pile/quarry each fossil was found in just in case.

There are other photos I should take, so I will plan to take the camera next time I go up.

Edited by Wrangellian

squalicorax

great photography

beautiful place to hunt

fossisle

Wow awesome pictorial !!

I still have to get there seems like the long summer was too short.

only a 2+ hour ride from Comox

Wrangellian

Thanks guys. I know, I'd like to do more collecting up-Island but it's so far to go when gas is so expensive and my car is not actually mine.....

Edited by Wrangellian

Fossildude19

Eric,

Great pics! I appreciate the effort that went into making the panoramas.

LOVE the baby buggy fossil cart idea! Well done.

Can't wait to see fossils from this location.

What do you usually find here?

Regards,

Missourian

Wow, what a view! It reminds me of a mix of Colorado and coastal California.

Wrangellian

That makes sense.

Funny thing is the mtn doesnt look anywhere near as high from down below.

I have posted things from here but I guess not enough to satisfy - there's another thing I should do, but as I say, taking and editing photos is a pain! The fossils are mainly ammos, bivalves, snails, irregular echinoids, crinoids (Uintacrinus), a solitary coral, and plants.

Edited by Wrangellian

glacialerratic

Nice report, Eric!

Great views, that last panorama shot is very cool.

FossilDAWG

Thanks for posting this. It's great to have an actual visual image of this site that has yielded so many excellent fossils. If I lived anywahere near that place, my job would be in danger as I'd have a hard time forcing myself to go to work vs playing in such a big sand box (shale box?).

Don

Wrangellian

Thanks Tim and Don,

I was just up there today plus last 2 days, and what's that about 'playing'? I guess I'm a sucker for punishment, but extracting 2 ammo's on one block sure took a lot of backbreaking work. If I had known (and I kind of did) that it would take that much blood sweat and tears I would have rented the Saw! Next time I will. That splintery shale must be the worst matrix to work with. It breaks everywhere you don't want it to and not where you do, and once you've got a split where you don't want one, you can't just squirt some glue in and push it back together because some bits will have gotten in there keeping the gap open, so all you can do it take it all apart and reassemble it at home (if you've got all the pieces..).

I'll try to get some photos of my latest finds, but it wont be tonight. Zzzzzz..

nala

Wonderful pictures B) a really great site to hunt :o thanks for sharing! :)

Edited by nala

Wrangellian

Thanks Gery! It is a nice place to hunt, but frustrating material to work with...

franster

Hey, great pix here! I love this site and have gotten lost in it a few times. You know how it is as you get your head down smacking away on an extraction and when you look up it all just looks like piles and heaps of shale. I once superglued my finger to a boulder trying to get a frisky ammonite back together.

As you live in the area I have a question for you. Do you know where the location in Maple Bay of the brittlestars mentioned in the "Fossils of Vancouver Island"?

Thanks for sharing the pix!

Wrangellian

Hi franster, I know exactly how it is - I've often spent the day until sundown trying to extract things... time just has a way of flying by. Sucker for punishment I guess.

I am not sure where the Maple Bay site is. I know of one exposure that might be it, and you have gotten me curious and thinking I might run by there for a quick look for that layer next time I go to the Mtn. I'll let you know by PM.

Wrangellian

OK I thought I would show some fossils from the Mtn as a sort of guide to what can be found there. This is not everything that I have found, and a couple important things are left out until I can get good pics of them. I am just posting the pics I have instead of going thru the trouble of taking new pics because it's always hit and miss.... sorry some have nothing for scale..

Ammonites:
post-4372-0-62949400-1351247106_thumb.jpg
Eupachydiscus haradai - two of the 3 I have found in 4 years of collecting there

post-4372-0-13301800-1351247161_thumb.jpg
Hypophylloceras Phylloceras sp. - rare

post-4372-0-20401500-1351247338_thumb.jpg
Gaudryceras striatum - zoom in to see lirae on inner whorls - relatively common

post-4372-0-22386400-1351247408_thumb.jpg
Larger (partial) Gaudryceras showing ribbing detail - pencil for scale

post-4372-0-85277000-1351247447_thumb.jpg
Damesites - rare uncommon (I have one or two larger, ~5cm+)

post-4372-0-86659700-1351247534_thumb.jpg
Unnamed heteromorph - trombone type - rare

More later - will edit this post with additional ammos

Edited by Auspex

Wrangellian

Bivalves + gastropods:

post-4372-0-05850200-1351247831_thumb.jpg
Sphenoceramus orientalis? - somewhat common

post-4372-0-37528100-1351247869_thumb.jpg
Uncertain - (unknown type 2 biv.) - common

post-4372-0-47287700-1351247940_thumb.jpg
Carditid bivalve Pholadomya - rare

post-4372-0-31902300-1351248018_thumb.jpg
Unknown snail (type 1) - common but not so much in this condition

More later

Edited by Auspex

Wrangellian

Other fauna:

post-4372-0-72357700-1351248146_thumb.jpg

Unknown echinoid (neg.) - moderately common but rarely complete

post-4372-0-10378900-1351248202_thumb.jpg

Coral - ?Platycyathus sp. - moderately common (finding more now than I used to)

Edited by Wrangellian

Wrangellian

Flora:

post-4372-0-83792100-1351248353_thumb.jpg
?Platanus sp. Zizyphus cretaceus [this one with something disk-shaped underneath??] - rare
-more often in this condition:
post-4372-0-24157900-1351248466_thumb.jpg

post-4372-0-96792800-1351248414_thumb.jpg post-4372-0-52674500-1378707390_thumb.jpg
Conifer - ?Glyptostrobus sp. - common, but most often in single or double twigs

EDIT: Had to add one of the other best specimens I have found of this, earlier this year. (not quite finished gluing/trimming)

post-4372-0-22194100-1351248508_thumb.jpg
Conifer - Brachyphyllum sp. - rare (only 1!) - thanks to 'Piranha' Scott for ID

post-4372-0-36112200-1351249362_thumb.jpg
possible flower (box is 1 1/16")

EDIT: Just found another one of these attached to the end of a ?Glyptostrobus twig, so it is a conifer feature of some sort..

Edited by Auspex

fossisle

Eric

Thanks for posting your fragile finds, great representation of the flora and fauna.

I really like the detail on the G.striatum living chamber, your flat small ammonite looks like a Damesites?

Rick

Auspex

Your revelation of what your hunting grounds are like, and what they contain, exceeds my poor imagination had sketched; thank you!

Wrangellian

Thanks both!

Damesites... I thought that was a possibility!

gwestbrook

Did you find any ammonites in this strata? Very pretty and interesting place.

Wrangellian

Hi Gary, yes, lots of ammonites (well, lots of types), see previous page, post #17, and the subsequent ones for other fauna/flora. They can be difficult to collect because they tend to be crushed and you need glue to extract them intact, but there is an interesting variety incl. heteromorphs. Rarely is anything complete, but I guarantee we'll find some there in Spring if we have more than an hour or two to search. The most likely ones will be Gaudryceras, Glyptoxoceras or maybe Eubostrychoceras.