Wrangellian

Mt. Tzouhalem (Tzuhalem), Vancouver Island

Wrangellian

I will try to do so and report back...:look: 

minnbuckeye

Buy a lot with a pile of shale on it, extract the fossils, by then the price of land will go up, sell the land and you will be a rich man with a load of fossils! If Only. Some of my best sites for LARGE orthocone cephalopods come from housing developments in Rochester, Minnesota. When a new development begins, I have about a month to find treasures before it is too late. You later look at the new homes and think of what lays just underneath the manicured grass. At least I had a window of opportunity. If homes were not built, I would not have found the cephalopods! Cup half filled philosophy.

Mike

I just looked at Mt. Tzouhlem  on google earth. They are just destroying the north side of the mountain. Now the cup is half empty.

Wrangellian

Yeah, I know it's because of the development plans in the first place that got the shale dug up for me to look through, and I suppose 10 years is better than a month or a year to collect, and I have collected ~1500 fossils over that time though they are mostly small things, and naturally the collecting was best in the early days. But the environmental destruction, unsightly scar on the hillside, the additional houses, higher real estate prices and taxes, more traffic, more water usage (they were going to put in a golf course originally but water woes cancelled that) outweigh all the fossils that I have struggled to collect and conserve with a great deal of frustration and am now fretting about what to do with them - Can't sell them, the RBCM is not jumping on my offer of donations, and the GSC which likely would take them is not located on Vancouver Island.  :mellow:

....so it's a cup less than half empty I'd say, looking at it now.

Wait, why did I get into this hobby? Someone please remind me...

minnbuckeye

Fossiling has a way to add the spark and excitement to the routines of life of those that partake in this hobby.  For me, this renewed vigor then transfers over to  my work performance and to  my ability to maintain a healthy  relationship with friends and family.  

Mike

Wrangellian

I know, we need things in our lives to keep us occupied and interested. Fossils is one of a few of those things for me, but I'm not sure it's the easiest or most rewarding (but then, what is?). Some people have tons of money and energy to put into it and don't mind doing it only for the satisfaction of contributing to science. I'm not sure how much I'm contributing to science (I try) but it also costs a bit of money which I don't have a lot of to begin with, so I hope it's not all in vain.. Hoping to find some new species or something, in my local collecting, but I know there's no guarantee, and if I do there is no guarantee I'll get any recognition for it (such as being named after me).

At least I get a bit of exercise that I wouldn't otherwise get!