Sign in to follow this  
katheria

Septarian Nodules Where The Best Place To Find Them?

katheria

read the sulpher river is a good place, we plan to go there soon.

Ive also read that there are some area's in dallas that are a little closer

anyone want to share a spot?

im after the calcite crystals

I know of a excellent place for Pyrite in Dallas area that im willing to trade :) or take someone to...

Also just brought back a ton of Pyrite in Matrix and Small Smoky Quartz from Magent cove.

amy

new to the board but have been reading for years. Have been collecting Fossils and MInerals for 20 years now.

CreekCrawler

PM sent,welcome to the forum...

Fruitbat

The North Sulphur River (at the Hwy 24 bridge south of Paris) is a good place for septarian nodules. The crystals are often a nice straw-yellow color but remember to bring a sledgehammer. Some of those nodules are plenty big! Oh...I've also found some with a combination of nice, colorless calcite and celestite.

-Joe

rljtexas

Hello,

Brand new to this forum, and for that matter, to fossil hunting/searching. I had a fun time a the North Sulphur River and plan to head back there soon (before it gets too hot) to see if it remains as exciting. Inspired by that experience, I spent a little time searching the creekbed of a local park and found only a few items of potential interest (I need help to know what I've found!). Specifically, I found a large shell that I believe is a fossil, but also numerous small shells that look like modern fresh water mollusks or something (raising the question: how do you know a shell/shell fragment is "old")? I also picked up a few other odd/unusual specimens that didn't match the typical weathered rocks--not sure if they are bone or what?

Since Plano is (probably) also mostly Cretacious and sedimentary, I was fascinated and confused to find large (2-5') "boulders" in the streambed and protruding from the bank walls. Close inspection showed odd lattice-like "interiors" under otherwise nondescript but rounded shapes. I got on the internet and found reference to what these are: "septarian concretions", and sure enough I found fragments that had small calcit crystals. On a separate trip to another area I found another small concretion fragment (now that I can recognize it), and cracked it open: sure enough, more calcite interiors. It would be fun to learn how to polish some of it (into a bookend?).

I don't want to take anything much out of the park, or encourage others to do so (probably not allowed, and the idea of folks smashing away at the boulders seems wrong--although its tempting!). I may settle for looking for these back at the Sulfur River. I can see how this hunting and learning makes for a really fun hobby. Will have to read through these posts to help me learn more, or maybe find a club or something where I can learn from local hobbyists.

Thanks!