Hi, I found this petrified/fossilised tooth thing and have had it for about three years

it has always kept me wondering so I've posted pictures

of it in the hope that someone may be able to identify exactly what it could be off.

Its dimensions are around 7cm (2.75') long, between 5-6cm (2.2') wide at the base

and 2.5cm (1') thick at the base tapering to a blunt end.

I will appreciate all helpful input

Cheers,

Dan.

post-10116-0-73835800-1349151825_thumb.jpg

post-10116-0-66711700-1349151853_thumb.jpg

Was it found in NZ?

Kia ora,

Yeah it was found around the Kapiti area of the north island

(I found it at the beach which is about 99% sand)

Hi Dan!

I guess, that´s only a flint, not a tooth. It´s shape looks a bit like a tooth or something else, but it´s only a freak of nature.

Regards,

Nils

Not made of flint though, as far as I know there is no chalk in New Zealand where flint is formed.

Okay, I agree ;)

I don´t know anything about New Zealands geology. Than it´s another kind of stone, but not a tooth.

Hi Dan!

I guess, that´s only a flint, not a tooth. It´s shape looks a bit like a tooth or something else, but it´s only a freak of nature.

Regards,

Nils

Oh well :(

thanks for disillusioning me

it was kind-of exciting to think it might be a fossil though.

Cheers.

Not made of flint though, as far as I know there is no chalk in New Zealand where flint is formed.

Thanks,

I wouldn't have a clue as to what

kind of material it's composed of, but it

feels much lighter than I would have expected

for a stone of its size

Cheers,

Dan

Hey, never surrender! :)

To have an eye for conspicious formed things is one of the most important skills to find something crazy. Don´t give up, there must be fossils in New Zealand!!

From the photos, it kind of reminds me of a piece of rough agate, or something along those lines....

With all of those pores in the rock - it could be volcanic/tuffa/pumice in origin, which would account for the light weight.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

want to say it's a siliceous representation of a fossil, what we are looking at is not the actual fossil but the filling of the cavity where the fossil was. Much like a steinkern. looks a bit like a whale bulla except for the end view. A relative light weight doesn't support my conjecture. Kosmoceras: guess that much of what we call flint generally speaking is chert or other amorphous silica?

With all of those pores in the rock - it could be volcanic/tuffa/pumice in origin, which would account for the light weight.

Regards,

I agree that this looks volcanic in origin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Kosmoceras: guess that much of what we call flint generally speaking is chert or other amorphous silica?

More info posted here: Link

Could not be said better.

Regards,

That sounds about right,

the beach I found it on always has a good amount

of normal white pumice washed up on the high tide line

Thanks,

Dan.

Hey, never surrender! :)

To have an eye for conspicious formed things is one of the most important skills to find something crazy. Don´t give up, there must be fossils in New Zealand!!

I won't give up my search, hopefully I'll turn up with something worthwhile...

Though I guess in NZ we're more familiar with living fossils than their defunct counterparts :)

Okay people.

here is another somewhat strange update on the ?rock? thing.

For some reason when I lightly

sandpapered part of it, there was a definate odor

which is like that of freshly cut/broken fiberglass.

Would this characterise anything in particular?

...For some reason when I lightly

sandpapered part of it, there was a definate odor

which is like that of freshly cut/broken fiberglass.

Would this characterise anything in particular?

Not really; the glue in the sandpaper could be contributing to the bouquet.

If you hold a flame to it, and it smells of burnt hair, it would indicate that the collagen proteins are still present, suggesting a fairly recent demise.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived