The Earth After Us: What Legacy Will Humans Leave In The Rocks?

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

ScienceDaily (Oct. 5, 2008) — What will be the lasting impression made by mankind - 100 million years hence? Jan Zalasiewicz, a lecturer in geology at the University of Leicester, has published a new book looking at the lasting impression likely to be made by mankind.

I thought this was a very interesting concept to think about....

Find the article HERE!

It will be a thin layer with some big features.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

I tend to think that it will be insignificant. Virtually all of the continental areas will have eroded down by then, and terrestrial critters only very rarely leave leave a fossil record. If one looks at the Mesozoic... there have only been a couple thousand different specie discovered from that time, and undoubtedly, they were just as prolific as the terrestrial verts of today. So, in 100my, I tend to think it would be a fluke if some intelligent life found anything associated with humans. Verts of the Cenozoic yes, but humans???

They might not find a human skeleton, but they will find our discarded garbage everywhere in the marine sediments.

Guest Nicholas

I think they'll find some random great fossilized bits, but these will be limited. Our tools, and garbage seem more suitable for survival.

Guest bmorefossil

well i got to talking with this guy on the beach today about what will happen to our fossils and how in the future they will think that where our fossils are now is where the animals actually lived