South Dakota Fossil Finds-What Are They?

autographcollector11

I posted these a while back-but wanted to repost with better images. Found these in SW south dakota.

What might they be? I am including 2 pictures of each one. The larger one is about 4 inches long-very heavy! I heard it may be titanothere.....

How old could they be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-7153-0-75848300-1349542788_thumb.jpg

post-7153-0-13083800-1349542813_thumb.jpg

post-7153-0-24155600-1349542859_thumb.jpg

post-7153-0-29917700-1349542878_thumb.jpg

Its hard to tell what it maybe,,,,,but from looking at the cell structure I would say it can possibly be a Dino bone of some kind,,,maybe some kind of joint. Now South Dakota covers a large time scale for land and sea fossils so if you can possibly tell us where about you found we may br able to tell if its marine reptile or a dino.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I still believe the first fossil is a piece of Stylemys nebrascensis (turtle) shell. The area of SW South Dakota does have a wide variety of fossiliferous exposures from Cretaceous through Pleistocene but if this was found in a 'badlands' area then it is likely Eocene (Chadron) or Oligocene (Brule) in age. I can't tell enough from the second fossil to venture a guess as to what it is.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library