Two Meters Permian Araucaria Stem

RomanK

Nice, don't you wish you could be superman for the day to be able to take the large fines home too? Or a witch and just wiggle your nose and poof it is at home, that would be great. Nice finds, at least you have pics to prove you found it.

I once found a chunk of petrified wood in PA that was as tall as me and 4 feet wide. needles to say, I couldnt move it...maybe one day with a helicopter...

Once again, you have posted examples of the extraordinary preservation in your area!

Once again, I envy you :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice, don't you wish you could be superman for the day to be able to take the large fines home too? Or a witch and just wiggle your nose and poof it is at home, that would be great. Nice finds, at least you have pics to prove you found it.

Thank you mommabetts I'm a realist and understand that Araucaria will be lie on that place some times but become a witch that's interesting idea, thanks for you reply.

I once found a chunk of petrified wood in PA that was as tall as me and 4 feet wide. needles to say, I couldnt move it...maybe one day with a helicopter...

Миша, Вы не поверите, но в 20 км от этого места есть ландшафтный парк "Клебан Бык", это одно из мест, где пермь представлена наиболее полно. Так вот, там просто под открытым небом лежат полтора десятка кусков арукарии, собранных со всей округи.

post-814-1223657193_thumb.jpg

Once again, you have posted examples of the extraordinary preservation in your area!

Once again, I envy you :)

Thank you once again, Auspex, I waited for your reply. What would you say about this stuff? Pic , unfortunately, is not very good -_- .

post-814-1223657520_thumb.jpg

Thank you once again, Auspex, I waited for your reply. What would you say about this stuff? Pic , unfortunately, is not very good -_- .

post-814-1223657520_thumb.jpg

The "wood" in your area looks like it may actually be mineralized; material from most U.S. coal-swamp sites (that I am familiar with) is usually just a cast. Have you ever tried to cut and polish any of yours?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

All I can say is WOW!

Maybe you can use an engine hoist to load it into a truck? Can you get a vehicle to it?

Nice find!

Kevin Wilson

post-814-1223668976_thumb.jpg

The "wood" in your area looks like it may actually be mineralized; material from most U.S. coal-swamp sites (that I am familiar with) is usually just a cast. Have you ever tried to cut and polish any of yours?

Not yet, I'm still a hobbist, Auspex, and have no special equipment to cut or polish the specimens. Last stem I've founded this morning is real petrified wood (you are right) but there aren't coal seams in that area of Donbass. And we (two professional geologists accompanied me) found it in original Permian sandstone layer. 20 km far from that place we have a natural landscape park - best place here with Permian stratigraphy. There are some 15 big pieces of araucaria stems there dated Permian time. So, I think araucaria as conifers reps appeared earlier than Triassic, will check via Internet.

Small mineralized branch fragment I asked your thoughts about is from Devonian (I'm not wrong!). So, it one of the first trees on the Earth. Tomorrow, if I will be lucky I'm going to visit another interesting place with Devonian tuffs and mentioned above fragment - from that area. One guy founded some years ago the whole tree whith roots and cones in volcanic tuff there. Will see :D

The Devonian is a fascinating period in the development of life; it began with small, primitive vascular plants and ended with forests! How wonderful that you have access to that!

All I can say is WOW!

Maybe you can use an engine hoist to load it into a truck? Can you get a vehicle to it?

Nice find!

FB, thank you for question. In principle, yes, I can get a vehicle to it, but problem is that part of the stem (I don't know bigger or less one) is in the quite hard sandstone and it needs to spend a lot of time to unearth it.

FB, thank you for question. In principle, yes, I can get a vehicle to it, but problem is that part of the stem (I don't know bigger or less one) is in the quite hard sandstone and it needs to spend a lot of time to unearth it.

Well I certainly look forward to your future updates on this project! Good luck with it!!!!!

Kevin Wilson