Looking For Quick Fossil Hunting Spots Near Meramec Caverns

harpo568

My fiancee and I are going to be spending a couple of days around Meramec Caverns next week (18th, 19th &maybe 20th) and I was wondering if anyone could suggest anywhere I could do some quick fossil hunting while I am in the area.

Unfortunately I can't do any all day hunts or long treks...I've never been to the area before (other than driving through) but would love to find a spot or ten to add to my tiny fossil collection.

any help or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks and I love this site!

Richard

Google Eastern Missouri Society of Paleontology, on our website, there are a number of collecting locations listed for the St. Louis area. Somewhat south of St. Louis is Mastodon State Park, and across Interstate-55 from there is an abandoned quarry of Fern Glen limestone. Definatly worth checking out if you have never hunted that formation.

Brent Ashcraft

thanks Brent!

No I have never hunted it...Do you need special permission to hunt the abandoned quarry? and if you don't mind my bothering you with a question or two more...do you need a permit or anything to collect fossils in Mo or in the parks?

my fossil hunting consists of one 2-1/2 hour search on the Peace River in Florida and a trip to Kickapoo State Park in Illinois.

But I have been collecting rocks for years and after going through most of them again recently I have found quite a few fossils.

It is a big no-no to hunt fossils in a Missouri state park, but the quarry is not part of the park. I do not know who owns the quarry, but it is well used by fossil collectors, and other vagrants. The park is more of a marker, you should be able to find it on google earth, and then go east across the interstate, and you should see the quarry.

Brent Ashcraft

• I found this Informative 1

well most of my fossil hunting time was spent in Eureka at a tire place waiting for a new tire (6 hours)...picked up a nice big chunk of steel when I stopped to poke around at a road cut...we did take about 30 minutes to nose around at a cut near the meramec river...

when I emailed directions to myself I missed part of the directions so wound up at the wrong place and ended up just searching a lot of scree...

We still had a great time today and met some very friendly and helpful people...

maybe next spring we can come back and do some real hunting...

Edited by harpo568