Specimen Boxes

stuck-in-tar

I'm sure you all know the ones I'm talking about--those little white boxes that look like jewelry gift boxes but look extra special with little fossils in them.

My question is, preferring someplace where I don't have to buy in massive quantities, where do you find these? An online retailer or something of the sort? Where does everyone find them?

My needs:

- Many different sizes

- Acid and lignin free (plan to store not just fossils, but all sorts of items from my naturalist-esque collection in them)

- They must have lids.

Any help would be very very appreciated!

Thanks,

stuck-in-tar

Stuck,

Here's a recent thread for "magnifier boxes". I know they're not exactly what you were looking for, but if some of your samples are small, this might be an option.

• I found this Informative 1

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Hi,

normally i go searching for jewlery display boxes in hobby shops, and jewlery shops!?

:0)

Edited by Skph

Regards

Meint

www.skph.dk

I mainly use the ones without lids, the foldup kind, which can be found in bundles from a seller on ebay.

Just based on a quick search, the kind with lids seem to come in bulk boxes of say 100 of any given size, maybe some mixing and matching possible? - on ebay or in hobby stores. Not sure if you can buy them in smaller lots.

Are you looking for the ones with lids and cotton?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Are you looking for the ones with lids and cotton?

Lids, yes! Cotton, not necessarily, but that'd be just fine, so long as it was removable. Preferably white boxes as well. I know I'm asking for a lot, but it is simply the museum standard really....

Hi Stuck In Tar

Go to

www.riogrande.com and search for plastic boxes, they come in many

sizes. Also search for the term suspension boxes, which you can use for some

more 3D fossils.

Veomega put me on to them and I haven't looked back since!

Cheers

Edited by Down under fossil hunter

LINK

This is where I get them for my shop.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks Auspex, been looking for something like that also. Ill have to check out the one DUFH posted above you when I get home. All I need after that is a blue print cabinet/map cabinet.

Are these of any interest?

They’re known as "membrane boxes". When you close the box, two tough high-clarity stretchy membranes (one in the lid and one in the base) come together in close contact and enclose the specimen. It then looks like it's hanging in mid air and you can view it from any side or angle. Just open the box to remove the specimen.

post-6208-0-61610700-1350226105_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-59849400-1350226122_thumb.jpg

I use them mainly for fragile meteorite specimens that I don't want anyone to handle but you can use them for almost anything as long as you are careful not to puncture the membranes. They are pretty tough though.

Lots of different sizes and one of my UK suppliers also has some with corners that are more square and black leatherette binding round the sides, plus a concealed magnetic catch on the lid. They look more "museum-style".

They’re relatively recently available in Europe… I believe the main supplier is German… but there are agents in the States who assemble the boxes from European-supplied components to keep the cost down. Google “membrane boxes” and various supply sources will come up.

Edited by painshill

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

That reminds me; I found and ordered a couple pair of THESE a couple weeks ago, mostly to assess the quality (they are, at $7.99 for two, quite low cost). I think they look and work pretty good for the price, and intend to get more.

Fossilnoob, I know these aren't really what you're looking for, being more display orientated than organized storage orientated, but you and others might see a use for them.

Are these of any interest?

They’re known as "membrane boxes". When you close the box, two tough high-clarity stretchy membranes (one in the lid and one in the base) come together in close contact and enclose the specimen. It then looks like it's hanging in mid air and you can view it from any side or angle. Just open the box to remove the specimen.

post-6208-0-61610700-1350226105_thumb.jpg

post-6208-0-59849400-1350226122_thumb.jpg

I use them mainly for fragile meteorite specimens that I don't want anyone to handle but you can use them for almost anything as long as you are careful not to puncture the membranes. They are pretty tough though.

Lots of different sizes and one of my UK suppliers also has some with corners that are more square and black leatherette binding round the sides, plus a concealed magnetic catch on the lid. They look more "museum-style".

They’re relatively recently available in Europe… I believe the main supplier is German… but there are agents in the States who assemble the boxes from European-supplied components to keep the cost down. Google “membrane boxes” and various supply sources will come up.

Those look very handy for small bits of amber as well since it is clear. Do you know if there is a certain thickness that can be put into them?

Robert
Southeast, MO

Hi Robert

They’re remarkably versatile… it just depends on the size of the box. A box with an external height of 16mm will take items up to 9mm in depth.

25mm boxes will take items up to 18mm depth

50mm boxes will take items up to 40mm depth

75mm boxes will take items up to 59mm depth

100mm boxes will take items up to 80mm depth

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Hi Robert

They’re remarkably versatile… it just depends on the size of the box. A box with an external height of 16mm will take items up to 9mm in depth.

25mm boxes will take items up to 18mm depth

50mm boxes will take items up to 40mm depth

75mm boxes will take items up to 59mm depth

100mm boxes will take items up to 80mm depth

Do these boxes put a lot of pressure on the specimens? I have a few trace fossils and chalk fossils that are really fragile that these look perfect for as long as they dont press down too hard on them.

Do these boxes put a lot of pressure on the specimens? I have a few trace fossils and chalk fossils that are really fragile that these look perfect for as long as they dont press down too hard on them.

The ones that I am familiar with can be assembled with the membranes touching, or with space between them, giving some flexibility over specimen size and how firmly they are 'hugged'.

Those in my pictures are non-adjustable and the membranes come flush together. I would still think you would be OK with fragile specimens that are thin but perhaps not with fragile specimens that are both wide and thick. The membranes naturally want to "sag" with uniform curvature under pressure - imagine pressing your thumb into the middle of a tambourine. It's the elasticity that overrides this tendency and causes them to wrap fairly tightly round the specimen. I've never had a problem with small thin slices of fragile meteorites.

Roger

I recently bought some gem jar display boxes from Amazon.com, and during my searches I saw lots of boxes like the ones you're looking for. It's worth a shot!

• 11 months later...

Wow, are those membrane boxes ever expensive!! The site I looked at wanted $12.37 for a box 67mm x 67mm x 9mm. They are really a fantastic idea, but I'd have to re-mortgage the house to box all the good things I've found already. LOL

Trilobite nut. There are a variety of nifty storage specimen boxes. Before ordering on line, cruise the craft section of your local dollar stores. You may find something that meets your needs at a fraction of the costs.

Be interesting to see photos of what collectors use.

Last year I ordered a bunch of riker mounts, display trays, small jars, and gem jars here: http://www.nilecorp.com . Great prices, and pretty good selection. They have sorting trays, tackle box style organizers, small boxes, and all kinds of other fossily goodies. I love the display trays with no inserts for loose fossils. My items were well packaged and delivered within a couple of days with free shipping.

If you're talking about the white jewelry boxes with lids and cotton cushion inside, there's a place in Victoria called Matthew's Store Fixtures and Shelving that sells anything to do with retail display. I believe this is where my mother bought these in bulk for me. They sell different sizes (and shapes, square/rectangle) and they come in boxes of, say, 100. I don't know if you can buy fewer than 100 or whatever round figure they are packed in, but you might be paying more per unit buying them individually. You might do a search for any of the keywords I mentioned to see if you can find a place that sells these.

I see this thread is exactly a year old... any luck yet in finding what you need?