Late Devonian Tree Fossils

RomanK

post-814-1223741427_thumb.jpgpost-814-1223741641_thumb.jpgpost-814-1223741800_thumb.jpgpost-814-1223741921_thumb.jpgpost-814-1223742039_thumb.jpg[attachmen

t

=12116:stemin2.jpg]post-814-1223742253_thumb.jpgpost-814-1223742328_thumb.jpg

[

attachment=12119:twostems.jpg]

"Archaeopteris was originally classified as a fern, and it remained classified so for over 100 years. In 1911, Russian paleontologist Mikhail Zalessky described a new type of petrified wood from the Donetz Basin (in Ukraine). He called the wood Callixylon, though he did not find any structures other than the trunk. The similarity to conifer wood was recognized. It was also noted that ferns of the genus Archaeopteris were often found associated with fossils of Callixylon." - wikislice.webaroo.com

post-814-1223742203_thumb.jpg

post-814-1223742430_thumb.jpg

The Wikipedia article alludes that Archaeopteris was a world changing plant; Fascinating reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteris

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The Wikipedia article alludes that Archaeopteris was a world changing plant; Fascinating reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeopteris

Thanks, I've read that. I have heard that first Devonian trees were discovered by Zalessky in Donbass. Because here there is only one Devonian sediments zone southward from Donetsk which corresponds to the South border of Donetsk aulacogen (appeared in Devonian) I went there and found some specimens of the first trees on the Earth (precisingly first modern trees, except Gilboa tree).

Yes, I am like that too, so very exciting to find your first of something

new! Can sure identify with that...,..

Welcome to the forum!

Archived