Bev

Se Mn Fossil Hunting

Bev

Here are two absolute "must see" websites if you are going to fossil hunt in southeast Minnesota:

Midwestpaleo.com

An excellent website to visit is: http://archeopaleo.com lots of information about Minnesota fossils and more! Be sure to click into the many folders.

http://archeopaleo.com/gallery/album60 This site is very Fillmore County specific, especially Masonic Park.

While you are down here, go to Forestville State Park the Mystery Cave office. EXCELLENT exhibit (check the drawers!) on fossils you will encounter here. Warren Netherton is the park amateur paleontologist, I believe.

Three miles from Forestville Park/Mystery Cave office are two very good sites to fossil hunt. Both are on Cty. 14 just east of the Park entrance on that side. Potential finds: gastropods (Snails), cepholopods (Squids), brachipods (Shells), trilobites (Beetles), corals--Look for the Sunflower Sponges! They are cool! And they are algea not sponges :), crinoids (Plant like animals) and perhaps more!

post-9628-0-83645300-1349978422_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-01232100-1349978480_thumb.jpg

Mr. Netherton will tell you that the roads are paved in fossils here! And they are! So, anywhere you see a roadsite outcrop, stop and you will almost certainly find a fossil!

Most of what you will find are in the Ordovician Era--So, older than the dinosaurs! :). Most will be some member of the Galena Formation.

The tour is Mystery Cave is fantastic! They will show you two cepholopods in the ceilings! Worth the time and money!

SE MN has over 700 miles of trout streams and all of these are good for fossiling and artifact (Native American) hunting.

You can not take any fossils or artifacts from the Park! The Park does have fossil workshops, but they take you to the Rifle Hill sites that I just told you about.

Oh, an easy and fun stop is O'Connells Excavating in Spring Valley, just off Hwy. 63. Find a fossilized rock and they will sell it to you! Lots of fossils and big display rocks!

I am currently mapping out road cuts in Fillmore County. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Jdeutsch

Do you have pictures of specimens from your collection?

Bev

Lots! Maclurites, cephs, crinoids, horn coral, burrows...

If you check out my posts on thefossilforum (and there are many :)--you will see a lot of them. Also some of my fossil hunts and locations with pics. I am just learning... Caleb of Midwestpaleo is always correcting me :) LOL

This thing doesn't send me messages, obviously when someone asks a question. I would be happy to help anyone who is interested in Fillmore County fossils! Going to try and put together a webpage this winter.

Edited by Bev

Fossildude19

Lots! Maclurites, cephs, crinoids, horn coral, burrows...

If you check out my posts on thefossilforum (and there are many :)--you will see a lot of them. Also some of my fossil hunts and locations with pics. I am just learning... Caleb of Midwestpaleo is always correcting me :) LOL

My email is: bevbenter <AT> aol.com

This thing doesn't send me messages, obviously when someone asks a question. I would be happy to help anyone who is interested in Fillmore County fossils! Going to try and put together a webpage this winter.

Bev,

You might want to mask your email address so that it doesn't look like one to the spam bots crawiing through the interwebs. :unsure:

ie: Bevbenter-*at*_aol - dotcom.

Regards,

Bev

Oh, hey, I do now have a post in the Gallery depicting my fossilized limestone deck with lots of the most found fossils! :)

tim1960

This is awesome site, Bev ! Thanks for telling me about it ! I'll have to take some photos from some of my collection and post here.

Tim

tim1960

I'm trying to post photos on here, but am having trouble doing that. I had posted two photos, but don't see them anywhere on here....

Bev

This is the MOST informative book for fossils in Minnesota, in my humble opinion. Bev :)

Minnesota Fossils and Fossiliferous Rocks

2005 Edition

Robert E. Sloan

39072 Karen Court, Winona, MN 55987-6124

Send $30, includes shipping in US and Canada.

Please let Mr. Sloan know

you read this on Bluff Country Fossils!

Bev

I have recently changed my email to: bcfossillady at gmail dot com :)

jualhadun87

Just to back Bev up, I ordered the book from Sloan and it great, really a must have for any Minnesota collector! Considering how much books for this field normally cost, $30 shipped for a brand new signed copy of this book is incredible!

Bev

THANK YOU! Sloan was a prof for years at UofM. It is THE book to have for Minnesota!

Bev :)

Edited by Bev

Bev

I have just put up a website: BluffCountryFossils.com which has lots of pics of fossils here in SE MN.

ALSO an "Adventure Blog" on the site where I am putting pics of fossil hunts with locations, maybe the correct geologic formation :P and finds! So you can check out some sites and decide where you want to go!

We now have a "Fossil Trail" consisting of 6 sites, so far, with displays of local fossils--pics on the blog.

1. Rushford the SE MN Historic Bluff Country (bluffcountry.com) Regional Tourism Center.

2. Houston Nature Center, Houston.

3. Maple Springs Campground entering Forestville State Park.

4. Harmony Visitor Center in Harmony, also has Sinkhole Exhibit.

5. Niagara Cave outside of Harmony--a top ten cave.

6. THE BEST Mystery Cave Fossil Exhibit at Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park.

These exhibits are extremely valuable in recognizing when you do encounter fossils!

Bev :)