harpo568

Shale Deposit Shelby Co., Il

10 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to dig through some exposed shale in rural Shelby co. near the Kaskaskia River south of Lake Shelbyville any time I would like. I know there are several small very old coal pits in the area and I have found coal bits on the river bank when I have been down there. what I am hoping somene can answer is...is it worth the time to spend the day digging through the shale in that area for fossils? I don't know much about the geology of the area so I thought I would ask.

I've been down there once looking for a couple of pieces for a rock garden but didn't spend much time and wasn't looking for fossils then.

I would give it a shot, what do you have to lose, even if you find nothing, at least you get a day outdoors and some good exercise.

Without looking at a map, I'd agree with Scylla.

You might find some siderite nodules in that shale.

I agree give it a shot, you never know what might be exposed along the stream there in the shale, siderite might have fossils, maybe if shale is not too weatherd and such some plants in shale if it overlies/near one of the coal beds.

thanks! I'll give it a shot in the next couple of weeks if I can. and I will post whatever I find.

Did you ever make it to the place, and did you find anything?

not yet. wound up with a clod, then flu, then pneumonia. now it's just too cold...I'ts not going anywhere so I am just going to wait until spring.

ummm cold...felt like a clod though.lol.

Well Harpo, if you need a hunting companion just give me a holler. I'd be happy to join you. :D And if you ever find yourself in northern Il. and want to hunt fossils let me know. I'd be happy to join you, or at least give you directions to sites you can hunt.

Rob that would be great and much appreciated! we would really like to do some hunting in Northern Il. come spring...Mazonia Braidwood is the only site I know we can hunt so any help would be great and the more the merrier.