Surprise Shark Teeth Fossils At Cau Dai Beach, Vietnam

cfuncklancpa

It has taken me a decent amount of time to post this pic. Back in May 2012 we were in Cau Dai Beach, Vietnam (south of Da Nang) as part of a family vacation. Before we left for the vacation my son asked me if I thought we'd find any fossil shark teeth on the beach. I did a Google search and it came up empty, so I said "no."

On our first hour on the beach he came up to me and said "look dad, i found a shark tooth." Here are a few of the fossil material we found with a few hours of walking the beach. None of the locals had any idea of what we had found and were surprised when we told them they were fossil shark teeth (although it may not have translated well).

IMG 6113

Edited by cfuncklancpa

Great, I found some in Hoi An, a few years back along with some crab fossils and sand dollar fossils. I can't even pin down an age except they seem neogene. Which Hotel were you at?

Edit:poor quality photo here:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/14609-fossils-found-on-a-beach-in-vietnam/

Edited by Scylla

Great, I found some in Hoi An, a few years back along with some crab fossils and sand dollar fossils. I can't even pin down an age except they seem neogene. Which Hotel were you at?

Edit:poor quality photo here:

http://www.thefossil...ach-in-vietnam/

@Scylla - very nice finds, and much bigger than what we found. We were at the Palm Garden Resort, just outside Hoi An. We also have a few small sand dollar fossils (we have lots of small sand dollars, but only a few appear to be fossilized), and a few small crab parts. I'll post pics of those as well.

Wish I had known about this back in 1999 when we were in Ho Chi Minh City. :(

Nice finds, guys.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Here's a picture of most of the collection from Cau Dai Beach. I believe all but the white sand dollars are fossilized (correct me if you believe I am mistaken).

Fossils and non-fossils from Cau Dai Beach, Vietnam

That looks like what we found, we were at the Victoria but must have walked a couple of miles up and down. I did find some of those sand dollars in matrix chunks washed up on the beach. Tim, I've been to Ho Chi Min city several times, but never saw any good fossils there (and I tried to look at the construction sites :ninja: )

Getting off topic here, were you there on vacation or business? And would you guys recommend going there for a vacation despite not knowing the language?

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Getting off topic here, were you there on vacation or business? And would you guys recommend going there for a vacation despite not knowing the language?

Vacation, four times. I don't speak a word of Vietnamese (but my wife does). I would highly recommend going for vacation, the people are friendly, the food amazing and the country is beautiful. I've been from south of Saigon to about 2 kilometers from the Chinese border and each part of the country is different. PM me if you want to get more details.

Vacation, four times. I don't speak a word of Vietnamese (but my wife does). I would highly recommend going for vacation, the people are friendly, the food amazing and the country is beautiful. I've been from south of Saigon to about 2 kilometers from the Chinese border and each part of the country is different. PM me if you want to get more details.

Our visit was also a vacation. Our family hopes to return to Vietnam in a few years for another vacation. Also feel free to PM me as well, as we did a "North-to-South" tour and had an amazing trip and met an amazing number of wonderful people along the way.

Hey Bob,

Nice to hear from you. :)

I was there in 1999, when we were adopting my daughter. I must confess to suffering from culture shock when I got there, but overcame that quickly. We spent two weeks there, and had a wonderful time. The people were friendly and gracious.

We hope to go back sometime in the future as well, now that my daughter is a bit older.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me