Gene Expression In Alligators Suggests Birds Have 'thumbs'

Guest Nicholas

Warning: dense thought alert!

It's Nature (molecular biology) vs. Nurture (evolutionary pressure): whether D-1 (and it's genetic "propensity") devolved through selection as "fitter" those individuals that avoided the metabolic cost of an unnecessary structure, or whether "loose" genes offered the opportunity to develope a more efficient wing.

I favor the latter; evidence that descendants of the ancient stem group (evolutionary lines that never flirted with flight) exhibit a genetic "loosness" is compelling.

A thumb, by any other name, is still an alula.

(Don't say I didn't warn you!)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

very cool, in my case a bone is a bone if they had thumbs then they had thumbs, for all i know they were not around during the miocene so it doesnt really matter to me lol

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous, but to a degree even greater than the sea is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect."

-Cap. A.G. Lamplaugh, British Aviation Insurance Corp., ~193

Flying around in the air is an environment demanding rapid and effective adaptation. The preciseness of aerodynamic lift modification provided by an alula seems far more important for survival in a way than does my moderate precision in using my thumb. Long live alulas! (I can't believe I wrote that).

Yes, Auspex, I know I know nothing about birds, but I did fly into a Holiday Inn Express last night...

"Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous, but to a degree even greater than the sea is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect."

What's to know? You pull back on the stick, and the houses get smaller; push forward, they get bigger.

(Pull too far back, and they suddenly start getting bigger again).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil
What's to know? You pull back on the stick, and the houses get smaller; push forward, they get bigger.

very well put auspex

Guest Nicholas

Sounds like what a Canada Jazz pilot would say.

There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are very few old bold pilots. And loops are not scary. Stall/spins are.

I went to Galveston today, and there were very few living birds in evidence. I saw a couple of pigeons at one location, along with two doves. That was about it. No seagulls, no pelicans. I saw a number of dead animals, including birds. The dead animals seem to be still around because there's nothing living to scavenge them.