Pleistocene Tracks!

Jesse

I came across this today, not a bad way to start the morning! Predominantly camel, but there was also proboscidean bison, horse, and small artiodactyl tracks that were either deer or reindeer!

post-5052-0-95883300-1350615462_thumb.jpg

Great stuff Jesse, thanks for letting us see them too!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Thanks guys! I was beyond excited to see it, 2 track sites in 2 years, I'm very lucky to live where I do!

Hi,

Take good care to make all that it is necessary if you discovered yourself these beautiful tracks ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Fantastic! How vulnerable are they?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Neat. Did you brush that area off to expose them or was it already wind swept? What do you do with the tracks now? Can you collect them or do you report them to a museum or something? I'm sure it's best to leave them for further study - hopefully you can keep the spot secret.

Wow! Absolutely amazing. How large is the site? Very fascinating stuff.

At that spot there are multiple horizons of tracks exposed, probably about 100 square yards total. You can pick up the layers in other spots, some several miles away.

Fantastic! How vulnerable are they?

Sadly, very. They are located right at a spot popular by fishermen, there are several boot prints across several of them. They were also exposed by erosion caused by wave action, so much of them are already gone forever. The ones left are in a non-vitrified clay so they are very fragile, the ones exposed were further damaged by a recent rain. And finally they are only about 15 feet above the low water mark and the lake is back on the rise, they will be gone in less than a month,

Neat. Did you brush that area off to expose them or was it already wind swept? What do you do with the tracks now? Can you collect them or do you report them to a museum or something? I'm sure it's best to leave them for further study - hopefully you can keep the spot secret.

I work for the local museum, I was out there specifically looking for tracks at a known location, they are only accessible every 5 years or so. They were photo documented, but beyond that they are in too soft of a matrix to collect so they will be staying there. These particular tracks will be destroyed when the water comes back up, but the bright side is that new ones will be exposed.

all that being said, does plaster casting of the better ones make any sense? or if they are going to be compromised anyway, soak them in superglue and saw them out with a cordless circular saw? the blade should go through "like budda"

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

all that being said, does plaster casting of the better ones make any sense? or if they are going to be compromised anyway, soak them in superglue and saw them out with a cordless circular saw? the blade should go through "like budda"

I prefer using latex and burlap for capturing tracks, these are in clay so plaster would destroy them. Maybe I should have done some casting, it rained again yesterday and all but obliterated them! They were well photo documented though, but it still hurts to see them disapearing.