Lee Creek News

lawooten

This ID query brings up a few questions in my mind. At what point in geologic time did Alligators appear? Did they evolve from Croc's? Why is it that only north america has gators? Are gator fossils found elsewhere in the world? If anyone knows a good site that explains this, I'd appreciate it. November 1st, Lee Creek, here I come, can't wait.

Just to give you a heads up we just got back from Lee Creek and the guides were saying that they think that the rest of the season should be cancled b/c the collecting area is half the size and I have to agree. I have been going for many years and the collecting area is the old area and everyone was having to get down on there hands and knees to find anything. It is the worst season that I have found at Lee Creek yet. There mining contract runs out 2011 and they are having a hard time getting a new contract and if they don't the mine is gone so hold onto your Lee Creek collection. But also know what your in for before you go. Just keep reading and see if they open a new area and thet could help. Digging there is you have evr done it is hard for little return.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

This season it seems that the collecting area has been cut in half and everyone is doing the Pungo crawl to find anything. Some of the guides were saying that they feel that the season should be called off b/c it is getting impossible to find anything. We collect this past weekend and I must agree it is not like the Aurora I have known and though you may find some small stuff our group tried digging with no luck and even whale verts are scarce though I found digging in the right places you might find them. Megs are getting rare and the new collecting area that opened up was gone by the time we got there b/c of reclamation.

If you read and you still decide to go then you know now what to expect it is so over picked you will have to crawl to find even the smallest tooth. With the gas prices hunters know before you go it is a disappointment unless they open new areas. Lee Creeks mining contract runs out in 2008 and they need everyone to sign petition so they can expand the quarry. They are having a hard time so sign it so we will not loose this valuable sight to collect on the east coast. It could be why the collecting area is so limited now. If you do decide to go I hope the weather was as great as it was for us which made the loss not so bad b/c we had the heads up before we went. Also know you won’t find anything going through the hills fast it just isn't there to see that easy this year. Again good luck to you all.

Just to give you a heads up we just got back from Lee Creek and the guides were saying that they think that the rest of the season should be cancled b/c the collecting area is half the size and I have to agree. I have been going for many years and the collecting area is the old area and everyone was having to get down on there hands and knees to find anything. It is the worst season that I have found at Lee Creek yet. There mining contract runs out 2011 and they are having a hard time getting a new contract and if they don't the mine is gone so hold onto your Lee Creek collection. But also know what your in for before you go. Just keep reading and see if they open a new area and thet could help. Digging there is you have evr done it is hard for little return.

I was talking to someone the other day who made a good point about this subject. Many of the guides have been there for many many years and just aren't as entusiastic about getting in there and collecting as they used to be. They don't have the incentives to get in there if it isn't producing like the past. I have never been so I don't care what the collecting conditions are like, I want to go in and see what is to be seen. I'm sure sharktoothguy will agree with me.

The best days are spent collecting fossils