Pursue Passion?

ConfusedPaleo

Hey guys i'm fairly new to this site and was looking for some crucial advice from those who share my passion! I hope to be a freshman at the University of Minnesota next year and the scary thoughts of "what will i do with the rest of my life" have krept into my mind. Paleontology has always fascinated me. From dinosaurs to the evolutionary process of the worlds prehistoric organisms...all of it attracts my greatest interest. I have been searching online about careers in paleo and have found many condescending articles on the subject. People claim career outlook is poor due to limited jobs and low wages. I want to do something with my life that contains discovery and a sense of accomplishment. What better then to pair these elements with a passion of mine? Getting a PhD and teaching and researching for a University one day is a great dream of mine. Should i pursue it? I'm very lost...any responses would be greatly appreciated!! again wonderful site!!!

Pursue your passions, patiently, to the corners of the Earth, and carve out your own niche, working from your own strengths.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with Auspex, go after your dreams and passions. You may find a job that pays more but if you are not happy in what you do then it is no fun.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Hello, I suspect the articles you describe are more pragmatic, reality based, than condescending. Paleontology is certainly an academically respected scientific endeavor, but is it valued by our culture over many other pursuits? Nope. Is it the right path for you? Who knows? At this juncture (I assume you are 17 or 18), the great thing is that you have an interest. The good news is you have a little time before you absolutely have to commit to a life long vocation. Starting with a university major in a closely allied field such as geology or biology may give you more latitude to "jump" in various directions for an ultimate career. Interested in evolution? Have you thought of study in genetics? These are just random thoughts and I hope you will see you don't have to make a firm decision before you have the opportunity to gather a whole lot more information and experience. Also, look at the members of this forum. There are people here doing amazing things in an area they obviously love, but the majority are not paleontology professionals. They have a host of ways to "make a living," but their love of paleontology is not denied. The truly searching mind will not be confined by vocational circumstance. It will find a way to experience the joy and wonder it seeks. Relax. You have some time. Since you are already searching, you will find the university experience to be a feast. Enjoy.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Hello, I suspect the articles you describe are more pragmatic, reality based, than condescending. Paleontology is certainly an academically respected scientific endeavor, but is it valued by our culture over many other pursuits? Nope. Is it the right path for you? Who knows? At this juncture (I assume you are 17 or 18), the great thing is that you have an interest. The good news is you have a little time before you absolutely have to commit to a life long vocation. Starting with a university major in a closely allied field such as geology or biology may give you more latitude to "jump" in various directions for an ultimate career. Interested in evolution? Have you thought of study in genetics? These are just random thoughts and I hope you will see you don't have to make a firm decision before you have the opportunity to gather a whole lot more information and experience. Also, look at the members of this forum. There are people here doing amazing things in an area they obviously love, but the majority are not paleontology professionals. They have a host of ways to "make a living," but their love of paleontology is not denied. The truly searching mind will not be confined by vocational circumstance. It will find a way to experience the joy and wonder it seeks. Relax. You have some time. Since you are already searching, you will find the university experience to be a feast. Enjoy.

Snolly, I applaud your excellent advice. Also your signature line, but mostly the advice. :)

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I echo the practical sentiments above. I'd suggest hedging your bets on something that produces goods or services that remain in demand and can't be offshored despite the vicissitudes of economics. When the country goes hand to mouth, I'd suspect that funding for paleo could get rather slim. While not for everyone, Engineering has been a good gig for me from the perspective of designing cool stuff, seeing it produced then having the satisfaction of watching it take market share. The pay isn't huge, but my roof doesn't leak. I like keeping the hobbies as sidelines for a couple reasons. Most of my hobbies would never pay like a day job in demand. Also, by not being able to hunt fossils every day, and not having to in order to keep food on the table, it stays fun and I don't think I'll burn out anytime soon. Pursuing an earth science like geology or hydrology just might fund your paleo interest, and at the same time provide some connections. You could probably pull down heavier coin with a Bachelor's Degree in Geology than a PhD in Paleo, and have several years head start on investing for retirement by going with the former. Just my $.02.

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Lots of great advice here. Like you Paleontology was my passion. I chose to get a degree in a related Geoscience field of Geology and Stratigraphy (let me work alot with paleontology). When I got my job in 1973 I was fortunate to be offered two jobs out of over 100 places (Illinois Geological Survey and Iowa Geological Survey -- both in Coal). The Illinois job came through and the rest is history as they say. I did alot with Coal Geology, resources, stratigraphy, geological mapping, and public geoscience outreach. And as you might guess did alot with fossils in the pursuit of that career. I certainly did not get rich, nice retirement -- even if Illinois now seems like many governments to be headed to some kind of involvency and the mood is to take away earned pensions like that in businesses have done. But it was a wondrous career and I would not trade it for anything else, I was able to pursue my passion even if I had to redirect it to a more practical geoscience field (coal resources) that they were hiring in when I looked for employment....

Go for it and consider all the excellent advice as you direct your path..

Russ

I can't add too much new information to the good advise already posted. However, keep in mind that as you grow older, passions often change/evolve.

I started out as an engineer and spent 15 years working in that profession. I enjoyed it and as danw pointed out, there's great satisfaction in seeing something through from design to implementation. I ended up developing a passion for aviation and now I'm employed in the aviation industry. I find my technical training in engineering helps with my aviation career. Since then, I've developed a passion for paleo, however, at my age, I'm too darn old to be changing professions again.

To boil it down, I think it's best to pursue an education that will provide some flexibility of career choices as you get older and your interests change. You never know where the road of life is going to take you.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Thank you everyone!! Reading this has helped immensely. Thank you so much for your input!!! truly inspiring and I may have learned that even the process of pursing this dream can be an essential and fun part of the journey...

Yes, as the others have said, persue you dreams, but smartly. Paleontology is indeed a limited opportunity degree. As mentioned, I would suggest major in geology and minor in paleontology. That makes you a lot more desirable.

ConfusedPaleo I am glad you found the many offered comments useful. You certainly have choices that must be made, but at this time you still have lots of wiggle room. Look at it this way, yours is a wonderful "problem" to have! I know you will eventually take the steps best for you. I really liked your latest comment, above. It reflects a belief I hold; the value is not in the destination, but in the journey. Enjoy!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

mzkleen,

It sounds as if you're speaking from experience as well.

Heck, if I started studying for a paleo degree now, I'd be lucky to graduate by the time I retire. :o

I figure one mid-life crisis is enough anyways!

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Most schools offer only a paleontology class or two and a B.S. in geology for most schools is pretty comprehensive for a general geology degree. Some may sway to petroleum or Environmental but most have the basic classes needed to be a well-rounded Geologist. Your advanced degrees is where a geologist splits off and even if you do a Paleo thesis it would not prevent you from working in other geologic areas. Where the big difference comes in to play is working on the PhD. This is where you specialize not only in a geologic area but basically become an expert in a small portion of the field. Most schools require a PhD or at least to be working on it to teach at the college level. Some small schools may only require an M.S. Regardless you have enough time to change your options. There are jobs out there for Geologist at any stage and maybe you can be one of the future Paleontologists that we see on the Discovery Channel one day talking about the famous fossil find you made.

A desire for a sense of discovery and accomplishment is all good and fine, but as a reason to go into Paleontology, it's likely to be unsustaining. First, you need to find out what the job of a paleontologist is actually like, find out about the everyday side of the job and obligations. Volunteer and a musuem lab, talk to professors and read up on the field (papers as well as popular literature). Be quite sure that you want to do the job itself. You'll also need to make sure that you're suited for the job, as paleontology is a lot more than just field work. Are you willing to engage with the duller, academic side of things?