redleaf101

Part 3: Sydney Mines, Cape Breton (Short Stop To Wasson Bluff, Parrsboro)

redleaf101

Continued from Part 2

- Day 3

Sunday was our last day in Cape Breton. We had decided that we'd do a little bit of free-styling around the Donkin Peninsula, and bring our friend Kendra along. Her family was heading back home, and proposed to drop her off at her parent's house on our way back.

We spent the whole late morning and early afternoon exploring Cape Breton's Eastern shore. We made our way to Glace Bay for lunch within that drive, but I have a hard time to remember if we stopped in Donkin before or after.

38.JPG

Heading towards the cliffs along the Donkin Peninsula

This freestylin' drive paid off as we came upon a very nice spot with beautiful plant material, still in large pieces. The loose material yielded beautiful specimens. For some reason I didn't take any photo, go figure! This stop alone made the whole weekend worthwhile. So many various ferns, plants, fronds, annularia, and other that just slips my mind.

39.JPG

Kendra heading to the sweet spot

We headed back towards civilization and snooped around the shorelines of various towns in the area. We made a few more stops before making the decision to call it a successful trip and head back home.

40.JPG

Coastal fortifications during the threat of WWII

It was still fairly early in the afternoon and we opted to take the long way home by going around Bras d'Or Lake. We drove along beautiful vistas and when we reached Iona, we took the ferry across to get to the other side. On our drive back we stopped to drop Kendra at her folks' place in the Antigonish area (can't remember precisely where she lives) and headed back home.

Cape Breton was always a place I wanted to visit and I don't know why I waited this long to do so. Maybe it just took me this long so that when I finally went, it made me appreciate the places we went, the people we met, and the gorgeous scenery this beautiful part of the province had to offer. I'm already planning another trip to this Celtic getaway for next year and I'll remind myself to take some pics of the actual plants next time.

Till next time, cheers!

- Keenan

Edited by redleaf101

Wrangellian

Nice report, Keenan. I know what you mean about fossils that are left to erode away to nothing because of red tape. I'm afraid if certain people have their way it will soon be that way in this province too. All the good sites end up in parks or protected areas, and even land owned by logging companies (which is most of it) is simply inaccessible (gated) because of the liability thing.

Anyway, those are spectacular trunks and tetrapod tracks!... is it too late to take some pics of the plant specimens you collected?

redleaf101

Yeah. In New Brunswick they have it right as you aren't allowed to pick directly from the cliffs unless you have a permit. If they're loose, its a different story. If they might contribute to science, they strongly suggest to hand it over for research. Everything else is fair game. That's how it should be. If Nova Scotia continues on its path of 100% control with no flexibility and consideration for the amateur collector, they'll soon will see people turned off, especially the little kid that gets excited picking up a rock and gets a slap on the wrist. That just doesn't make sense.

I'll see what I can do for the plants. In the meantime I'll put up a post real soon on Clifton, New Brunswick. I've got some excellent stuff that came out of there, even for a short paper that my pal Matt is thinking of writing up on some special little tracks. Stay tuned!

http://redleafz.blogspot.ca/ -> I'll be converting some of the posts of my blog to the forum for locations.

glacialerratic

Wow! What an adventure!

Great photos of a beautiful place, and those trees....

Thanks for sharing.

redleaf101

I'm gonna have to look up Canada's geological maps to figure out other Carboniferous formations and to see if similar flora can be found, such as trees.

trilobiteruss

Having worked in Pennsylvanian Coal Geology for my career at the Illinois Geological Survey, this looked to be the trip of a lifetime. Always wanted to visit this area and see the trees and such.

Thanks again for sharing this virtual trip with the rest of the forum!

Russ

redleaf101

I highly recommend it! Just this small area you need at least half a week. I'd also recommend the highlands of Nova Scotia and its cabot trail North. Might as well make it a full week! :P

capebretonishome

If you come back to my beautiful island check out the cliffs in galce bay harbour around the point heading away from the fish plant there are trees just hanging out of the banks on the water side easily accessable, Just park on the other side of the harbour across from the fish plant walk the shore and its there.

have ffun and be safe.

redleaf101

Very very cool! I can't wait to go back .. I want to go earlier than I did last year. Cape Breton is a little slice of heaven for me. =P Thanks for the tip!!!

capebretonishome

not a problem if you need any other sites let me know. btw where was the site at where you found the cape breton rubies at???

thanks again