redleaf101

Ram's Head / West Bay (Diligent River, Nova Scotia) Part 2

redleaf101    4
redleaf101

Continued from Part 1

19.JPG

More tracks, and these are very nice. The sandstone shows different other textures and features. These dozen footprints or so seem to be indicating that the animal was walking from right to left, and at one point undecidedly turning left. Possible body drag, but I'm not familiar with these yet to fully recognize them.

19a.JPG

General direction of animal's trajectory

20.JPG

21.JPG

Close up

22.JPG

Another set of beautifully detailed footprints. These could be seen at a good distance. There's about 16, possibly 17, footprints that can be seen. The sandstone layer on top of it might very well be obscuring additional tracks from the same animal.

23.JPG

Set of footprints

24.JPG

The picture above showcases about half a dozen footprints. So far I could makeout a four-toed animal, but the impression doesn't always tell the whole story. Some elevated impressions show some footprints with extended features, such as fingers, and some others show what could just be the ball of their feet. The impression here is that the animal might have been walking with its feet directed inward, like a low bodied animal such as a crocodile would, twisting while it walks.

24a.JPG

General direction and trajectory of animal

25.JPG

Closeup of toed footprint

26.JPG

The rightmost footprint shows what seems to be 'twisting', when the foot is down in the loose sediment, such as sand, changing direction while lifting it while moving forward (these are my personal observations of course).

27.JPG

These are another set of tracks showing details such as fingers, located just above the linear cavity. These two lines of footprints line up, and seem to be showing the animal moving from bottom left to top right.

28.JPG

Set of footprints that show some potential 'toe drag'. Some individual prints show the fingerlike features to be extended, as if dragged for a little distance.

29.JPG

30.JPG

There were a lot of close-calls and this one was tough to tell if it was or wasn't a trace fossil. There were many that could be, but just was too chard to tell, so we didn't consider as tracks. Can you find the supposed footprint in the above photo?

31.JPG

As I was saying before, the folding becomes more drastic the further East, and eventually the layers are set in a different angle than the ones we first encountered where we started our walk.

32.JPG

Sometimes you will find deer walking along the beach. I had seen some at Five Islands Provincial Park. Some find ways down by finding a trail, some by falling down. This was the size of a faun, and it wasn't able to find its way back up. I've seen dead seals before, where the head was cleaned off of flesh, but the rest of the body was intact, but my first encounter with a dead deer. Poor young feller.

33.JPG

"Cape Split"

34.JPG

Our walk back..

This was a wonderful spot, especially if you love looking for tracks. I wasn't disappointed. Some of the pictures of the footprints might be the last time that anyone will see, as the cliffs erode and weather at a very fast pace and the rate of how the cliffs get defaced by the hydroactivity and wind makes it even more unpredictable. But with this type of change can reveal more surprises. Next time I'll remember to bring an extra change of footwear.

Cheers!

- Keenan

Auspex    1,756
Auspex

If I found footprints like those, I'd need more than a change of shoes...

You have fueled my sense of wonder with high-test!

trilobiteruss    27
trilobiteruss

Very cool! Love the footprints, we have found a few like that in the Illinois Basin Pennsylvanian rocks as well, I have a small collection but we have a bunch at the ISGS in our collections from one find. This reminded me how cool these tracks are!

redleaf101    4
redleaf101

There wonderful to look at, especially when you see a change in their direction and behavior.

Terry Dactyll    121
Terry Dactyll

Fabulous!... thanks for sharing these....