Saharan Shark Tooth. Needs Id

ammonhotep

I'm a new member of the forum, so please be patient. I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

A friend of mine found this tooth in the Sahara. It's about 3" long (diagonal). It's obviously been reassembled (with wax). I was told the geologic strata was 40 million years old, but I don't know. I wish I could tell you more.

I did a basic online search, but didn't find any teeth with more than three points like this one. Any ideas?

post-10320-0-17812700-1351513786_thumb.jpg

post-10320-0-16185400-1351513824_thumb.jpg

Edited by ammonhotep

Looks like an Eocene whale tooth called Archaeocete which is a very nice find----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thank you very much for the information! I never would have guessed whale tooth.

Obviously it wouldn't be worth money broken, but is there a market for these kinds of things? My friend lives in a village, so he's more interested in money than fossils.

There is always a market for legally collected quality fossils, I would guess this is from Egypt---Tom

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thank you very much for the information! I never would have guessed whale tooth.

Obviously it wouldn't be worth money broken, but is there a market for these kinds of things? My friend lives in a village, so he's more interested in money than fossils.

Welcome to the forum

Its a Archaeocete tooth ( primitive whale from the late Eocene or early Miocene ). Because these teeth are so highly priced its even worth money with your tooth being in the condition its is. It could go for as much as 100 U.S. Dollars or more...Now in some places in the world these teeth can be very rare and very hard to find and this can make it even worth more money.....Where was this tooth found ....Place and country....Do Not Clean It

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Thanks for thinking about the science about fossils not the money involved.I commend you.

Bear-dog.

I sense some sarcasm, but that's ok, bear-dog. We each have our own perspective.

It's not my tooth. Personally, I don't hunt fossils. A friend from a poor city in Egypt (to answer another question) asked for information about it. I said I would find out; I kept my promise to him.

It's easy to think about science when you have food on your plate,

when your country didn't just go through a revolution,

when your economy isn't in serious trouble,

when you have money in the bank account (or any account at all),

when you don't have to scrimp and save just to finish high school,

etc. (And "etc" entails an exceptionally long list.)

I won't judge him for his decisions. I suggest you don't either, unless you're willing to arrange and fund an archaeological expedition, that is. Then I'd be happy to introduce you to him, and he'd be happy to work for you. (Really.)

--Ammonhotep

Edited by ammonhotep

even in its condition, I think its a beautiful tooth.Im more interested in the science of fossils but have to admit Ive fallen on hard times before and had to sell some of my prized fossils, I wish I didnt have to but when you have a wife and 3 kids to feed you do what you have to. Maybe what ,for your friend, starts out as a way to support his family will eventually turn into a quest for knowledge as he learns more about what he's selling. Thanks for posting the pic, its the first Archeocete Ive ever seen and another fossil Im going to have to add to my "gotta find one" list :)