Fossil Fish Vert

Shellseeker

Any fish vert is relatively rare. This one is my first complete one at any size in 4 years. I thought it might be shark; others suggested Sawfish or Billfish.

Please help me identify. The diameter is 38mm (about 1.5 inches). How large of a fish would have this vert?

EDIT START

Did some investigation on the internet.

FISHERIES RESEARCH BOARD OF CANADA - Relationship between Diameter and Fish Length and Usefulness of Marking Vertebra of Young Coho Salmon by H. T. Bilton, D. W. Jenkinson May 1974

(a) Fish length (mm Y = 36.132 + 60.877 X (total vertebra diameter, mm).

Approximation, 1.5 inch diameter Fish Vertebrae = 7.5 foot length of fish EDIT END

Thanks SS

post-2220-0-59631700-1351816486_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-22947200-1351816504_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

i think its a shark vert, fish verts look like this.

fish_vert_nj1.jpg

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

Just to be a pedant: sharks are of course fish so this is a shot of a bony fish vertebra.

i think its a shark vert, fish verts look like this.

fish_vert_nj1.jpg

Harry,

I am starting to follow. Those who guessed non-shark did so because this vert is missing those large side holes similar to the Scyliorhinidae shark family. This vert certainly is different from Tarpon or other bony fishes. But it easily could be from the lamnidae shark family (no gaping holes on the sides). So maybe Mackerel or Great White sharks might apply.

This vert has a hole straight thru the middle.. Natural ? Any significance? Thanks Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Harry,

I am starting to follow. Those who guessed non-shark did so because this vert is missing those large side holes similar to the Scyliorhinidae shark family. This vert certainly is different from Tarpon or other bony fishes. But it easily could be from the lamnidae shark family (no gaping holes on the sides). So maybe Mackerel or Great White sharks might apply.

This vert has a hole straight thru the middle.. Natural ? Any significance? Thanks Jack

My guess would be that this is a lamnoid type vertebra from a medium-size shark. Note that lamnoid type vertebrae are not limited to lamnid sharks.

The center perforation is damage, not naturally occurring. The Peace River is a high-energy environment (in flood) -- intact fish vertebrae are not common.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest