Hillside Trip - Again

sward

I made another trip to my favorite hillside today, but went to a different area of the hill that I hadn't been to yet this year. I'm sure some of these pics get a little boring for some of you, but this site is within walking distance from my house, and with the work schedule I've been having to keep lately, it doesn't leave alot of time for longer trips. Therefore, I have to get "my fix" close to home. Also, the variety I find at this site always keep me coming back. It seems I find something new for my collection on a regular basis.

These were all found in and below the pyrite layer. I normally don't spend alot of time that low on the hillside, but maybe I ought to be checking it out more closely.

Urchin (my first, other than heart urchins) (ID'ing is not my strong point - Salenia texana?):

post-6450-0-34289300-1351883209_thumb.jpg post-6450-0-84084300-1351885129_thumb.jpg

Ammonites:

post-6450-0-32542800-1351883270_thumb.jpg post-6450-0-50585200-1351883316_thumb.jpg

Crab claw piece (?):

post-6450-0-10396300-1351883382_thumb.jpg post-6450-0-63477600-1351883607_thumb.jpg

Shark teeth & vert:

post-6450-0-37414300-1351883665_thumb.jpg

Unknown. I originally thought it was just an in-filled borrow, but when I flipped it over, it appears to be something else. The inner (black) material looks just like a piece of rotten wood. It splinters and falls apart just like a rotten stick.

post-6450-0-68534200-1351883893_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Continued:

post-6450-0-34283300-1351884120_thumb.jpg

Plesioturrilites:

post-6450-0-94444300-1351885017_thumb.jpg

I have another find, but it's going to require some "reassembly". I hope to be posting it soon. ;)

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

you are fortunate to have such a great site close by...that doesn't happen for most of us. looks like grayson fm based on goniophorus ech and the ammos and presence of crustaceans and vert matl. pawpaw fm is similar, but your stuff to me looks more like Kgy

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Very nice!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Dan,

The geo maps show my area in the Mainstreet/Grayson, undivided. I sure don't profess to be a geologist.

Based on discussions I've had with vertman and some pics I've sent him, he believes I may be in the Paw Paw based on some of my finds (my fish - possible osmeroides, two turtles - one was Naomichelys speciosa, and other material). Here's a couple of pics of my hillside that leads him to believe it may be the contact of the Mainstreet limestone and the underlying Paw Paw.

post-6450-0-47471600-1351887008_thumb.jpg post-6450-0-59015900-1351887380_thumb.jpg

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Looks like a great place to hunt, next rain will expose new treasures, the ammonites and ech. is awesome. Thanks for letting this Texan get his fossil on----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Looks like a great place to hunt, next rain will expose new treasures, the ammonites and ech. is awesome. Thanks for letting this Texan get his fossil on----Tom

Tom,

That's one of the nice things about my hillside. Every rain seems to expose more and more. I enjoy it tremendously.

I know what you mean about always being a Texan. I moved away for a while, but got back as quickly as I could. Hopefully some day you can make it back, too.

Thanks!!!

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

Thanks sward, my son recently moved back to Texas from Augusta, Ga to Tyler so trips to see the grandkids will be made in God's Country, it will be fossiltime---Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Hello there,

Nice variety

U can safely remove the question mark from your crab claw

And your close up "ammo" is certainy a nautiloid and not an ammo

Your burrow looks to be wood coated with some type of matrix. Nice finds.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Interesting. Richard certainly knows his stuff, and has been onsite. In fact he and Boneman introduced me to the Pawpaw years ago, so I defer to their expertise.

Here is what I know about both contact zones. I'm used to see the Mainstreet expressed as a hard, massive, blocky gray to yellow limestone with tons of Waconella wacoensis brachiopods, some nautiloids, occasional large Mariella ammonites, and sometimes Coenholectypus echinoids. The Kms forms a prominent cap over the softer, recessive Kpp below. The Kpp has different facies and can range from gray to tan to wine colored in your area, sometimes studded with red ironstone nodules. The Kgy outcrops above the Kms and is a grayish clay, often with a light gray to light tan limestone. Both formations have pyritized ammonite zones. I've seen way more crustacean material in the Kpp, but lots of shark and fish matl in both.

Hills in your immediate area will probably be capped by Mainstreet or Woodbine. In between, the bases of hills and flats may very well be Grayson, maybe older in creeks. If you can find contact zones in your area between Kpp/Kms, Kms/Kgy, and Kgy/Kwb, the rest will fall together when you plot them on the geomap.

I see that Goniphorus occurs both above and below the Kpp, so I guess your exposure could be either. Go with what Richard said until evidence shows up that makes him think differently. In the meantime, the detective work is a big part of the fun! It took me a few trips years back to figure out I was in the Corsicana Formation down my way, since its not even mapped separately.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Archived