Circular Donut Shaped Fossil - Lake Erie Shore, Northwest Ohio

halfchino

I need help identifying this donut / rollerskate wheel shaped fossil embedded in rock. I do not know for sure the type of rock, but could be limestone. Size is approx. 3.5 inches across. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

post-10356-0-34702900-1351981889_thumb.jpg

Edited by halfchino

What is the size of the specimen?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My guess would be a snail also. Have you tried using something like Limeaway to clean it up a bit? Sometime that will give just enough cleaning to help with identification. :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

The donut would be an internal cast, a steinkern. The identifying features are most often on the external surface. They would show on the outside of the mould surrounding it.

Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately, it was embedded in a rather large rock that was too heavy to carry away from the lake. I've got to go back with a chisel and hammer to extracate it before the weather turns to snarge up here!

Thanks for the tips guys. Unfortunately, it was embedded in a rather large rock that was too heavy to carry away from the lake. I've got to go back with a chisel and hammer to extracate it before the weather turns to snarge up here!

The matrix looks like chert ...

Tricky to break out fossils from boulders without splintering fossils

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

I don't know what part of Ohio you are in but it looks like a Silurian gastropod in Niagarian dolomite. Found pretty much anywhere north of Dayton to Michigan border along either side of I-75.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The picture suggests snail because the doughnut looks a little wider on the left and the right side seems to dip under the other side beneath the matrix. It's not easy to tell from a picture though and because you initially described it as a wheel or doughnut it may help if you could confirm whether it seems to make a spiral like a corkscrew or is flatter than it looks in the pic.

Edited by BobWill

The closest thing I can think of for gastropods of that size is Platystoma sp. in the Silurian, I've seen them up to 5" diameter?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks