Hunt Of Agnostus Pisiformis In Sweden

Dromiopsis

Love the music - Theme song to the old Benny Hill show! That little sapling took a licking but kept on ticking.

Great video and a lot of hard work went into busting that hunk of rock out. Glad you were not hurt as it looked like a big chunk!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

It doesn't get better when all you have to do is pull down a mass of rock to get to a mass of fossils.

P.S. I'm glad the little tree is ok. :)

Context is critical.

I was waiting for the Benny Hill girls to run across the screen.....LOL.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Well, that was worth the sweat. Nice work!

Thanks Roger!

But at 5°C....not too much sweat....I slept in my car....but I am very well equiped for cold nigths

in attachments....coffe on Orthoceratid rocks....and my "Huntfossil car"..the morning at Kinnekulle (Hällekis)

D

post-5175-0-89114900-1352248318_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-66984900-1352248452_thumb.jpg

Wow, so dense. Were they mostly disarticulated?

Hello Saurornitholestes ,

99.99999%are disarticulated...researchers have found only 3 specimen complete in theses kind of layers

By my side, I perhaps found one....but I have to clean it to see the thorax segments.

D

post-5175-0-14201900-1352292526_thumb.jpg

wow!

maybe this is what would happen if you hurt the little tree

:D I promise to make an update about the health of this little tree next time I will go...must wait 2 years I think ......

But..when I look in details the pursuers in the picture......

Ha! 'Yakety Sax' by Boots Randolph, in case anyone is wondering.

At first glance I would not have expected to get that big a chunk out of that outcrop, but I have put even more work into excavating fossils at my local site! Looks like you have a complete one there... at those odds you've won the lottery!

I love the Orthoceras slab, too... I wonder if the shell is intact and can these be prepped out? I ask only because every other 'Orthoceras' you see for sale from Morocco, China, etc, is polished down to the septa. :(

Ha! 'Yakety Sax' by Boots Randolph, in case anyone is wondering.

At first glance I would not have expected to get that big a chunk out of that outcrop, but I have put even more work into excavating fossils at my local site! Looks like you have a complete one there... at those odds you've won the lottery!

I love the Orthoceras slab, too... I wonder if the shell is intact and can these be prepped out? I ask only because every other 'Orthoceras' you see for sale from Morocco, China, etc, is polished down to the septa. :(

Hello Wrangellian,

About the Orthoceras (Mainly Endoceras at that location) The shell is intact most of the time but there's no "pattern", the shell is soft and when this one is gone or fine, you can guess the septa between chambers.

There's few nautiloids with patterns, Anthoceras vaginatum, lituites....

But If you polish as the morrocan or Chinese specimen...you will have the same result.

here a link with a movie in a preview post:

http://www.thefossil..._hl__nautiloids

pictures :

rich slab from öland with Endoceras and Anthoceras

Anthoceras vaginatum

Lituites lituus

Endoceras with shell from Öland, Sweden

Endoceras from Kinnekulle polished

D

post-5175-0-01105000-1352395063_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-16101800-1352395079_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-79953900-1352395150_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-29024400-1352395176_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-30997600-1352395196_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello Wrangellian,

About the Orthoceras (Mainly Endoceras at that location) The shell is intact most of the time but there's no "pattern", the shell is soft and when this one is gone or fine, you can guess the septa between chambers.

There's few nautiloids with patterns, Anthoceras vaginatum, lituites....

But If you polish as the morrocan or Chinese specimen...you will have the same result.

here a link with a movie in a preview post:

http://www.thefossil..._hl__nautiloids

pictures :

rich slab from öland with Endoceras and Anthoceras

Anthoceras vaginatum

Lituites lituus

Endoceras with shell from Öland, Sweden

Endoceras from Kinnekulle polished

D

I didn't notice this reply until now! Thanks Dromi, It's nice to see the variety and the locations of origin for these things. That in an enviable trip - I could pry up nautiloid slabs all day at a site like that and never get tired! I would keep them more or less as they are, too - the Moroccans would probably polish them all.

I recently acquired a decent Lituites from China (from member Aetobatus). (no pic yet)

Archived