Fossil Of The Month...changes?

RickNC

thx Auspex. i'm still feeling a little "blond" though :)

Steve

Don't! I've posted to several year old threads thinking they were current too. I've also messaged people not knowing they were deceased as well when their profile has it clearly marked. And like Auspex said, it's good bring old stuff up periodically.

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

We spend a lot of time and effort to ensure that the archives are immortal: it's science!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 9 months later...

I see that plants are always losing against inverts.So we should split plants and inverts too.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Just now, fossiling said:

I see that plants are always losing against inverts.So we should split plants and inverts too.

Not at this time.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 9/30/2016 at 8:13 PM, fossiling said:

I've seen several plant fossils destroy the competition. I really do not see a reason to change this.

• I found this Informative 3

...I'm back.

3 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

I've seen several planet fossils destroy the competition. I really do not see a reason to change this.

Yeah. Certain plants are REALLY hard to beat.

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

yeah,but the point is that plants are not participating much.By splitting them we encourage plant guys to put their fossils in when they think their fossils will lose to a killer invert.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

10 minutes ago, fossiling said:

yeah,but the point is that plants are not participating much.By splitting them we encourage plant guys to put their fossils in when they think their fossils will lose to a killer invert.

Look at the Invertebrate / Plant Find of the Year HERE.  There were many "killer inverts" that lost that year.  ;)   We may change it in the future, but not any time soon.  :)

• 3 months later...
On 2 décembre 2015 at 6:01 PM, ssuntok said:

thx Auspex. i'm still feeling a little "blond" though :)

Steve

Hey, i am blond !

This thread may be two years old, it is interesting to see what are the other's feeling about that competition.

According to me, the best you can do, when you don't have the luck to find something rare or really beautiful or the means for a good preparation for your find, is just putting in competition the find you like the best.

This month i have put in competition a shell that is not rare and had the preparation i was able to give it. I am glad to see that, at this time, it is in the fourth position among 8 competitors behind two nice trilobites and a wonderful plate of urchins.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not sure if anyone will see this (seeing as how this is mainly an older thread) but I'd like to suggest a minor "tweak" to the fossil of the month contest.  It is possible that a worthy fossil might be collected on the last day of the month, leaving insufficient time to clean the specimen (I'm talking about just water and a toothbrush, not major prep) and post it.  Most of my collecting sites require a 4-6 hr drive or more, so it is not unusual for me to get home after midnight.  I'd suggest that fossils collected on the last day of the month and not requiring major prepping be allowed to be entered on the first day of the following month. 

Don

3 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Not sure if anyone will see this (seeing as how this is mainly an older thread) but I'd like to suggest a minor "tweak" to the fossil of the month contest.  It is possible that a worthy fossil might be collected on the last day of the month, leaving insufficient time to clean the specimen (I'm talking about just water and a toothbrush, not major prep) and post it.  Most of my collecting sites require a 4-6 hr drive or more, so it is not unusual for me to get home after midnight.  I'd suggest that fossils collected on the last day of the month and not requiring major prepping be allowed to be entered on the first day of the following month. 

Don

What about when You are on a multi day trip that overlaps the month change? A fossil is found in the last couple of days of one month and You do not get home until a few days into the new month. Should it be allowed in the new month?

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Don and Tony,

There have been several instances of fossils that were too late for entry.  The easily defined qualifications, we have used over the years, have allowed the contest the best chance at objectivity.  To make allowances for last day finds in the next month would run counter to the spirit of the "find of the month" contest, and it would not be fair to those excluded previously. 

Given that most people have access to The Forum 24/7 through various devices, there are few instances where someone could not post a photo for entry.  We have to draw the line somewhere.  If a last minute, unwashed specimen photo was submitted to insure entry within the month, and a better one was PM'd to @Cris, or me, the next day, I'm sure we could add it to the contest entry.  The main goal is to get your specimen submitted, per the rules, within the proper time frame.  The clearer the rules, the easier it is to keep the contest fair.   ;) 

• Fossildude19 locked this topic