Tilly Bone Cross-Section

Harry Pristis

Here's another interesting fossil that turned up in my storage . . . a Tilly bone that has been sawed in half.

I took some close-ups with my camera (unhappily, my microscope camera software is not compatible with my new Intel Core i5 processor). But, I think you can see the gross structure and identify the bone, a pterygiophora ("ter-RIJ-ee-AH-for-ah", I think).

Tilly bones are bone overgrowths of unknown etiology. This one is from a fish axial skeleton with bilateral symmetry. A pterygiophora is the basal spine (within the fish body) which supports and articulates with the dorsal fin spine on the body exterior.

Show us some more Tilly bones.

post-42-0-90953800-1352397426_thumb.jpgpost-42-0-53820200-1352397469_thumb.jpgpost-42-0-82670600-1352397517_thumb.jpgpost-42-0-26048400-1352397579_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry Pristis
  • I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I cranked up my older computer to make this microscope image:

post-42-0-91839200-1352408190_thumb.jpg

The white dots within the trefoil section represent voids in the original bone -- cancellate bone. The overgrowth seems to be without those voids.

What seest thou else

Tilly bones are nornal growths in bony fish, they act like ballast

That they act as ballast is a common misconception. Hyperostic bones (Tilly bones) frequently occurs in the head and dorsal region. These are not regions you would want ballast. In modern fish the density of hyperostotic bones is about the same as muscle tissue.*

Smith-Vaniz, Kaufman and Glowacki discuss this in "Species-specific patterns of hyperostosis in marine teleost fishes" Marine Biology 1995 vol 121.

• 2 years later...

That specimen on the bottom-right of your image is strange. Can you provide a couple of different views?

Here you go Harry. The piece does seem different in that it looks to be composed of sandy material (maybe cast).

post-4422-0-28984900-1434761788_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-89993200-1434761921_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-51195300-1434761993_thumb.jpg

Sorry Harry I missed this original post of yours...hmm, I never thought about cutting one in half-----interesting to see one in section.

That last example is rather odd isnt it...not only in composition but also in the unique shape--not sure I have any like that...I'll have to go look in the pile...thanks for the photos.

Regards, Chris

Here you go Harry. The piece does seem different in that it looks to be composed of sandy material (maybe cast).

Wow! That is different. I don't think it's a Tilly bone, though. At least, it's not like any Tilly bone I've ever seen. I think your "cast" suggestion is a likely identification. A cast of a burrow by some invert, I'd say.

Not all Tilly bones are bilaterally symmetrical. But, we can say that a very sizeable proportion of those that come to our attention (a collecting bias?) are from the axial skeleton and thus tend toward bilateral symmetry. Witness the assortment of finds you've presented, DeV.

What did you find, Chris? Does anyone here have fossil Tilly bones that don't tend toward bilateral symmetry? Please show us.

Edited by Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

Earlier today, I stumbled (literally) across a flat containing some phosphate mine miscellany. Among the odds and ends were these Tilly bones. Most, perhaps all, of these are vertebrae. I don't know if any of them are associated with the others. None is anything close to perfectly symmetrical, but you may be able to see the tendency toward bilateral symmetry.

post-42-0-59017300-1434834238_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

What seest thou else

Well, this is going to be more difficult than I thought...I've got a bunch of things that are possible tillys that I'll have to photograph later but as I was looking at a number of specimens I was certain of I'm now intrigued by the different textures and wondering if I've got something else

So here's one I found at the Bowling Green Mosaic mine, Hardee County, FL which has some good symmetry but not perfect.

post-1240-0-51267500-1434852873_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-49299600-1434852892_thumb.jpgpost-1240-0-71434400-1434852908_thumb.jpg

Lastly here are two additional ones with more interesting textures. The one on the right has some really intriuging raised bumps/areas along its base.

post-1240-0-10157100-1434855793_thumb.jpg

More as I get to them.

Regards, Chris

Harry, can you show the other side of the bone in the lower right of your flat of phosphate mine material?

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

• 1 year later...

Very informative thread.  I found a big and small tilly bones and fin spines on the Brazos River, Texas. I will try to post several pics as this format allows.

20170321_181551-1.jpg

Mike,

Great Pictures!! I am intensely interested in identifying specific tilly bones to specific fish:  Do you have such knowledge?

A couple of mine, The last one I JUST found and my hunting friend said he thought it was shark.

Tilly1CM.thumb.jpg.03a433b621ab9677aa4b2e527f7657b0.jpgTillyCompressed.thumb.jpg.0ab833aae2faab87dda11433247aac15.jpg

TillyBone.thumb.jpg.1e17ba863cb368886732d862bbd5081a.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"