Tilly Bone Cross-Section

Harry Pristis

Nice finds, Shellseeker, and thanks. No, I'm an amateur digger. My life in the oilpatch has consumed me for 30yrs. I'm just now able to focus on digging and trying to figure out some of my finds. I have buckets of finds I've not had to the time to sort and clean. I'll post more pics as I can.....  

I believe some fish families(e.g.Trichiuridae*) are more prone to Hyperostosis("Tilly bone syndrome") than others.

*mostly the pterygiophores

Some studies were actually done from the viewpoint of economics/ upscaling the fish for consumption,because the thickened bones play heck with the filleting process,,of course.

Doushantuo,  Thanks for the reading material.  I will get to it as time allows,

Mike, I am drooling :drool: over those Ray mouth-plates.

I too am older than a fossil hunter should be.. but I am addicted.  I spent 40 years in industry but now my major role is looking for fossils in the Peace River.

I live vicariously thru great photos  -- Pls keep them coming.  Thanks Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks, ShellSeeker. Yeah, I'm overwhelmed with old bones. I'll get in touch when I feel I have all my bones in row.... )

Here's my two cents on this reinvigorated topic. I was able to locate some of the various Tillies from my collection. Some are obviously vertebrae and others inflations of longer thinner bones. I've often wondered about the origin of these hyperostotic bones. I've heard the ballast and calcium reserve theories but these bones have always looked tumorous and painful (especially in the vertebrae). I'm interested to see in the paper posted by @doushantuo above (Antiquity of Cancer) that my assumption that these were not intentional reserves of excess bone material but possibly cancerous has some traction.

I had found this small rib fragment in proximity to several Tilly Bones and often wondered if it too was thicker than it should be for its size and length. Looking at it this morning though it seems too smooth to be hyperostotic and must have instead come from some small stoutly built species.

Cheers.

-Ken

P3231302.thumb.jpg.19beb44a974b29baa8c12eda99755efd.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, digit said:

I had found this small rib fragment in proximity to several Tilly Bones and often wondered if it too was thicker than it should be for its size and length. Looking at it this morning though it seems too smooth to be hyperostotic and must have instead come from some small stoutly built species.

Hey Hi Ken,

I think it is a worn whale tooth, not a fat rib. On the end near the thumb it looks like there is an enamel line.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Oh, how I wish! :drool:

Any apparent enamel line is an artifact of that photo. The distal end of the rib is more polished and shiny than the proximal end which is rougher and lighter colored (possibly received more weathering on this end). This was a creek find a few years ago (Cookiecutter Creek, in fact). After collecting some micro-matrix I moved downstream to hunt for some larger fossils. The gravel in the creek at this point was turning up a large number of Tilly Bones. This rib was sticking out of the bank material right next to where I was digging with (I believe) the more weathered end protruding from the sandy clay matrix. Though I scan the banks whenever I am fossil hunting, I think this is the only item I've ever found peeking out where I was able to make a withdrawal from the the bank. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

On 3/23/2017 at 11:29 AM, digit said:

Here's my two cents on this reinvigorated topic. I was able to locate some of the various Tillies from my collection. Some are obviously vertebrae and others inflations of longer thinner bones. I've often wondered about the origin of these hyperostotic bones. I've heard the ballast and calcium reserve theories but these bones have always looked tumorous and painful (especially in the vertebrae). I'm interested to see in the paper posted by @doushantuo above (Antiquity of Cancer) that my assumption that these were not intentional reserves of excess bone material but possibly cancerous has some traction.

Cheers.

-Ken

What do you think about this one. It is complete and my hunting buddy has 2 just like it from the same location. Tilly or not,,  It is actually black, I have added filters to show detailTillybone2.thumb.jpg.6a090052c4a579816a3fdef6a47db30b.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"