Lexington Harbor, Mi - Need To Know Where Harbor Rocks Were Quarried From.

jilllaidlaw

I operate YWCA Camp Cavell located on Lake Huron in Michigan and try to pass along information to all who will listen about the Great Lakes. We do programs for adult and children's groups, as well as people who attend our Kid's, Family, Women's, & Seniors programs. My after season hobby is photographing the lake shore in the winter, and fossils for presentations. I have spent a lot of time crawling over the large rocks that make up the Harbor at Lexington. I know they were brought in by barge but wonder where from? Lots of fossils embedded in them.

This fossil was found by a retired Geology Prof. who is helping me with identification... it is about 2.8 inches across and he thought it was a criniod cap. Do you agree?

We have just started a facebook group called YWCA Camp Cavell - Lake Huron Beach Combers if any would like to join. Welcome all that would like to come share information or talk about the Great Lakes!

post-10405-0-40720700-1352602078_thumb.jpg

post-10405-0-46719100-1352602491_thumb.jpg

post-10405-0-95049000-1352603280_thumb.jpg

Hi Jill,

I would guess all that rock is from north of you, from one of the quarries in Alpena or Presque Isle Co., those are the closest quarries to you; the rocks and fossils are Devonian in age.