California Shark Past & Present

Megalodon1

That was cool, a dusty ? shark was found out of range sometimes, with one

being found in the Mississippi River in Illinois. Wow, the cookie cutter shark

and goblin are really unique looking. Great video...

Welcome to the forum!

Great lecture. Thanks for posting.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Right up my alley. Thanks for posting it.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I'll have to watch it at some point. I haven't chatted with Doug in about two years or so... he was originally working on fossil sharks from California, but he didn't really keep up with it.

Bobby

I'll have to watch it at some point. I haven't chatted with Doug in about two years or so... he was originally working on fossil sharks from California, but he didn't really keep up with it.

Bobby

I wish I had Doug's job, talking about loving what you do!

• 5 months later...

Bobby

Bobby,

Yeah, he started writing some great articles and then drifted away hanging out with Nancy Sinatra and writing poetry or something. I remember hearing about him as a sort of heir apparent to Applegate and Welton as "the California shark tooth guy." I thought Marcel was going to be "the guy" after that but then he moved to Texas or Tahiti or whatever.

It seems like a very interesting video to watch. Unfortunately, when he said "Mammalogy", I heard "Mammography" and thought 'Hey! you now have my attention, LOL and imagine my disappointment when I realized what he REALLY said, LOL

Soooooo, when I can get my mind cleaned up and in the right mode, I will sit down and view this :P

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Bobby,

Yeah, he started writing some great articles and then drifted away hanging out with Nancy Sinatra and writing poetry or something. I remember hearing about him as a sort of heir apparent to Applegate and Welton as "the California shark tooth guy." I thought Marcel was going to be "the guy" after that but then he moved to Texas or Tahiti or whatever.

I met Doug at the CAS on his last day of work there - he's a really neat dude. Ya, it doesn't sound like he's done anything paleo-related in years, which is unfortunate - his publications were great.

I'll at least be doing some papers on sharks in the future...

That was cool, a dusty ? shark was found out of range sometimes, with one

being found in the Mississippi River in Illinois. Wow, the cookie cutter shark

and goblin are really unique looking. Great video...

I believe that record belongs to the bull shark, Carcharinus leucas, a shark notorious for invading fresh-water. The bull shark is known as the Zambezi River shark in Africa and the Lake Nicaraugua shark in Central America. I encountered one in the Suwannee River in Florida in a pool that is 160 river-miles inland from the mouth.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

...I encountered one in the Suwannee River in Florida in a pool that is 160 river-miles inland from the mouth.

That must have been an interesting moment!

How did the shark behave?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That must have been an interesting moment!

How did the shark behave?

It was bold. It swam up to within a few feet of me then veered off at a 45 degree angle. Never saw it again, though we spent the rest of the afternoon diving in the vicinity. The shark was land-locked by many riffles downstream. It clearly got into the pool when the river was in flood (as it is at this moment).

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I met Doug at the CAS on his last day of work there - he's a really neat dude. Ya, it doesn't sound like he's done anything paleo-related in years, which is unfortunate - his publications were great.

I'll at least be doing some papers on sharks in the future...

Bob,

I guess paleontology is like any other field: some people lose interest over time and chase after something else. I remember a Cal student in the early 90's who was really into paleo (mammals), but he got a job as a mailman. There was a guy in Bakersfield who moved out-of-state. He was a big help at the BVMNH while he was around.

I just read Kriwet and Benton (2004). It's interesting but has some glaring English errors. The people noted as reviewing it should be punished. What happened to editing? I see misspellings on the news every week too.