Proboscidan Ivory Section?

masonboro37

I may be way off base with this one. I found this very small section of what I think could be Pleistocene, Proboscidan Ivory. I found this yesterday at the Belgrade quarry in NC. I have been looking at Elephant tusk specimens in my book and online this morning. I have some other fossilized Ivory (Walrus) and this seems to have similar characteristics. I apologize for the pic quality today. Any ideas are appreciated.

Libby

post-7899-0-66136900-1352646646_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-56395000-1352646658_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-93805900-1352646669_thumb.jpg

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

By golly, it does look like Walrus ivory! The "granular" interior shown in the middle picture is a good indicator.

LINK: (scroll down)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Libby, I al 100% confident that this is a piece of stingray tooth. I have plenty of abraded specimens just like this. What's missing on the root side (lighter side) are the transverse grooves from the root.

Daryl.

By golly, it does look like Walrus ivory! The "granular" interior shown in the middle picture is a good indicator.

LINK: (scroll down)

I sure thought just maybe! So enjoyed reading the link info. I printed it all out!. Thank you Auspex!

Well, I guess to no avail this is not what I had thought it could be. Not ivory. Just had that appearance to some degree. Thank you all for your help. ;)

Maybe some real sharp pictures would help?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Maybe some real sharp pictures would help?

I will take more pictures and post. Just does not look like ray material. The ray mouth plates I have which are broken do not have the same porous aspect. Will post pictures tom evening. Thank you Auspex!

I will take more pictures and post. Just does not look like ray material. The ray mouth plates I have which are broken do not have the same porous aspect. Will post pictures tom evening. Thank you Auspex!

Here are some other pic's. I tried to do better with the magnification and sharpness. Did not do a very good job! :wacko:

post-7899-0-76144000-1353100337_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-47935200-1353100352_thumb.jpg

post-7899-0-50636700-1353100365_thumb.jpg

Edited by masonboro37

With these pics I can tell it is definitely a ray fragment.

Thank you! I will add it to my collection of bits and pieces.