Jacksboro Dps Trip

Roz

Thanks to trip leaders Polly and North Sulphur River King... Jacksboro is in the Upper Pennsylvanian,

lower Graham Formation..

My best finds were two great Orodus teeth, a shark spine and a mystery tooth..

If anyone can ID the round mystery tooth it would be much appreciated..

post-13-0-52557900-1352663010_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-09754300-1352663033_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-65169300-1352663061_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-24265900-1352663285_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-70432200-1352663308_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-51909800-1352663215_thumb.jpg

The tooth below is the one that I could use help with..

That's a penny underneath

post-13-0-28743300-1352663420_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-28475100-1352663446_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Roz,

Here is a possibility from A Pictorial Guide to Fossils, 1982, Gerard R. Case, for the round tooth: Helodus sp. Pavement crusher tooth ascribed to a bradyodontid cartilaginous fish. his specimen is not an exact match but it is from the same age of strata up in Nebraska.

From the same book, and others, the spine appears to be from Ctenacanthus.

Those Orodus are a nice pair.

ER

Edited by erose

Roz, The Orodus tooth is amazing, one of these days, when I am back in Texas, Jacksboro will be on my visit list. The mystery tooth almost has a Ptychodus look to it, unusual-----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Thanks so much Erose.. That is a book that I don't have.. I can't find many images but

a few show the round dome .. The description on a few say, (distinct tubular dentine) which

mine doesn't have unless it has broken off.. The area that is by the root looks different

compared to the ones online.... That would be a first Helodus for me and more than welcome!

I think you are dead on with the spine being a Ctenacanthus spine!

Welcome to the forum!

Wonderful teeth.

Is the first one in a nodule?

Yes partially covered.... The other also has what appears to be nodule material on it also.

I am going to use a dental pick to get most of it off unless it looks like I might damage it..

Welcome to the forum!

Very nice finds and photos, Roz.

Thanks, John! You will have to travel up this way after a few heavy rains..

Welcome to the forum!

Roz, The Orodus tooth is amazing, one of these days, when I am back in Texas, Jacksboro will be on my visit list. The mystery tooth almost has a Ptychodus look to it, unusual-----Tom

Thanks, Tom.. When you come to Texas let me know.. I'll bet we could get a few forum members at Jacksboro at the same

time.. It's a very large area and some fossils are also found on the flat area.. That's where I found the spine.

Welcome to the forum!

That was a a fun trip!!!!

Yes it was.. It was 3:30 when I reached my car.. I was the last one out.. I love that site!

Welcome to the forum!

Roz,

We wondered whose car that was. Didn't know if someone had car trouble or car pooled to another location. My daughter and I left at 3:00 and headed for Bridgeport where we ran into some DPS members from Jacksboro at a roadcut loaded with crinoids. Jacksboro really was a great site and the Bridgeport stop just topped off our day. No teeth were found, but I've now got more horn coral and crinoid stems and cups than I know what to do with.

Cool finds Roz, wished I could have made it. I am thinking Helodus sp. as well, but not seeing the ridges on the side like they seem to have.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Roz and her Penn finds...

You're always finding some kind of unusual/unknown material from the Penn. As usual, you've got some beautiful stuff there.

It looks like ya'll had a great time.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Yes, it was a good trip!

I received an answer to an email I had sent out to an expert in this age fish and sharks.

He says that while it could be Helodus, the hemispherical shape of the crown doesn't

fit the standard tooth shapes associated with Helodus..

Welcome to the forum!

Roz,

We wondered whose car that was. Didn't know if someone had car trouble or car pooled to another location. My daughter and I left at 3:00 and headed for Bridgeport where we ran into some DPS members from Jacksboro at a roadcut loaded with crinoids. Jacksboro really was a great site and the Bridgeport stop just topped off our day. No teeth were found, but I've now got more horn coral and crinoid stems and cups than I know what to do with.

I am glad you did well! I saw you but you two were so far away I had no idea who it was.. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it was a good trip!

I received an answer to an email I had sent out to an expert in this age fish and sharks.

He says that while it could be Helodus, the hemispherical shape of the crown doesn't

fit the standard tooth shapes associated with Helodus..

that's my opinion too :)

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Wonderful teeth.

Is the first one in a nodule?

I don't think I answered clearly in my response to your question.. It was not in a nodule I opened

but it does look to me as if it was in one at some point... It has the look to me anyway..

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think I answered clearly in my response to your question.. It was not in a nodule I opened

but it does look to me as if it was in one at some point... It has the look to me anyway..

I wasn't clear in my question either. :)

Even though I've seen many concretions with fossils exposed on the outside, I still think of the fossils being 'in' them.

Context is critical.

I wasn't clear in my question either. :)

Even though I've seen many concretions with fossils exposed on the outside, I still think of the fossils being 'in' them.

There is a section of the exposure near the top as it transcends into the Jacksboro Limestone that has that light tan, hard limestone. I don't believe these would qualify as concretions in the typical sense. I have a few specimens from it that also have that fine limestone attached. And it's hard stuff too. Good luck with any prep.

To put these finds in perspective, I like to think of it this way:

For every 100 Miocene teeth you find, it takes the same effort to find 1 cretaceous tooth.

For every 100 cretaceous teeth you find, it takes the same effort to find 1 Pennsylvannian tooth.

In other words.... VERY WELL DONE!!!

To put these finds in perspective, I like to think of it this way:

For every 100 Miocene teeth you find, it takes the same effort to find 1 cretaceous tooth.

For every 100 cretaceous teeth you find, it takes the same effort to find 1 Pennsylvannian tooth.

In other words.... VERY WELL DONE!!!

Thanks, Boneman007!

Welcome to the forum!