Post Your Favorite Field Photos

Uncle Siphuncle

and one more. at a big horn basin, wyoming dinosaur quarry. notice the large sauropod limb bones all over the place. there is a closely associated apatosaur in the background.

brock

post-37-1224630191_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

^I wish that I could have snapped one of you when you were trying to protect your finds with your arm when the face of that rock gave way. :D

Brock had been setting his finds off to the side, when suddenly about a 1/2 ton of shale broke free from the face of the outcrop. Instinctively, he threw his arm and shoulder into the way of the down coming rock. It looked real painful, but he only received a few cuts.

Wow. I want to find a dinosaur bone before my life is over. Actually, the thought of just running away to LOOK for one is pretty much a blissful consideration.

and one more. at a big horn basin, wyoming dinosaur quarry. notice the large sauropod limb bones all over the place. there is a closely associated apatosaur in the background.

brock

That's a very cool photo!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

What the heck is that????

And what is it holding?

I endured a day of artifact digging in "black lung" conditions and took home the flint drill pictured plus some other goodies.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I wish the avatars would enlarge when clicked on; there are so many beauties I'd like a really good look at.

Like me? Just kidding....I know you are talking about fossils.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

brock

Okay...that's it. I have a reason to go back to Wyoming now. Actually, I know of a few cool places to hunt in WY. Once, my best friend from college and I were fossil hunting and she found a full fish imprint/fossil "thing" and took it back to her professor. Apparantly, it was either very rare in that area or a new species. I'll have to ask her what happened with it.

This is from the Blue Forest collecting petrified wood out in southwest Wyoming last summer.

post-757-1224629177_thumb.jpg

My husband and I actually made a nice little rock garden in our front yard that was full of petrified wood. Some of the wood was really cool as it was almost amberish/coalish in appearance. The stuff was so common where we lived at in WY, that no one knew the difference. We found some really big stuff too.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Sceweduptexan,

I LOVED the four times I have collected in Wyoming. Mammals in the East, near Lusk and Fish in the West, Kemmerer.

Would also love to get back there for a month of collecting.

Where we lived and collected was litterally out in the middle of NOWHERE. Actually, we sort of joked that it was the "armpit of the universe". We would go to an isolated resevoir and litterally find fossils and fish and leaf/bark imprints everywhere. I'll have to dig up my imprint and post it sometime. Once we save some mulah, I'll have to go out there again. Of course, it will have to be the summertime as everything's probably covered in snow now.

Here's one from last week in Cape May (Peregrin Falcons may be sexy, but Red-tailed Hawks are Heavy Metal!!!)

post-423-1225162633_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's one from last week in Cape May (Peregrin Falcons may be sexy, but Red-tailed Hawks are Heavy Metal!!!)

Now those are cool.

Wow man, now that's impressive.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

What is that you are holding?

That's just a little old chunk of Mastodon jaw, with tooth! His photos should come with a warning for those with weak hearts.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Have you ever had a day of bone hunting you just can't forget

post-310-1225245477_thumb.jpg

Bone-chilling!

Bet you were ready for a cold one in a warm place...

Here's another favorite...

So, that's where you find the good stuff...by the big tree, little tree, and 2 medium trees with the floating sticks nearby! I thought I recognized it.... ;)

That's a great shot.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 2 weeks later...

My husband Ernie get into fossil collecting no matter how dirty he gets.

post-764-1226457539_thumb.jpg

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Archived