One Of My Off Site Fossil Storage Collections

kazzoo

You see them and want to take em home. But better left for others to enjoy

post-27-1224286754_thumb.jpg

A ordovician cephlopod I presume.

Regards

Kaz

Wow! That thing is a monster. What part of the country?

Figured you would stop by!

This was on a big slab of rock with two about the same size, This one is the most clear.

This is from southwest wisconsin, driftless area. Paleozoic Plateau. Primarily dolomite, sandstone, and some shale.

Regards

Kaz

This is the slab, and why it does not come home. Unless you happen to have a dump truck and a forklift.

post-27-1224290201_thumb.jpg

People use this kind of stone for building walls and houses. Or it ends up being ground up for gravel.

Probly will be the fate of this slab.

Regards

Kaz

That is certainly very fossiliferous material; is it in a quarry?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

In the old days, I would have sat there for a weekend with a star bit and chisel until I destroyed it, or brought it home. :D

That is certainly very fossiliferous material; is it in a quarry?

Yes, not a very big operation. No standing equiptment. Its when someone wants blocks and slabs for some building project it seems.

Have to guess-timate the size, less than 100 yards long next to a curve in the road on a uphill grade, depth can not be more than 30-40 yards in from the road. Directly behind it runs miles of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources owned land rolling and sloping down to the Wisconsin River.

Regards

Kaz

Wow that is nice, I bet someone else finds it and then it will be gone!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I have not met anyone else in the area who is interested in these things. Considered a to be a eccentric hobby by most people I talk to.

"Well good for you" and "How nice you have a hobby", and it (the conversation) tends to move to other topics (and quickly too). So not a lot of competition so far. I am betting it will stay a off site collection for awhile. Imagine a grown man messing around with rocks...

Regards

Kaz

I post this one, simply because of walking on the slab trying to get pictures of the Cephalopod I scuffed this one up with my shoe.

Gets one to wonder what you pass by or damage unknowingly. Not that this is anything special, I just felt bad I did it to something 450 million years old.

Sorry no scale here, lets just say its about six inches long and smaller than the diameter of a standard pencil.

post-27-1224333030_thumb.jpg

Regards

Kaz

That last one looks like a crinoid stem.

Thats what I believe it to be as well. Just felt bad I scuffed it up going after the other shots.