lawooten

Trilobites In Ohio

lawooten

I am taking a trip to Ohio this month and want to collect Trilobites could anyone help me with any location that I could check please.

Mike Murphy

If you are interested in Ordovician trilobites and have never collected in Ohio previously, I would suggest that you start with the Caesar Creek State Park locality north of Cincinnati. There is a large exposure of the upper Ordovician marls and limestones of the Waynesville member of the Blanchester Formation in the spillway that contains large numbers of fossils, including some trilobites. Most of the trilobites that are found there are enrolled Flexicalymene meeki, although a few outstretched specimens may be found. Specimens of Isotelus maximus may also be found infrequently.

You must check in at the Visitor's Center to review collecting rules and regulations, and to sign a collecting permit to legally access the spillway. They have a nice fossil display of the fossils that may be found in the spillway locality. They also have some guidebooks published by the Ohio Geological Survey and by the Drydredgers, a fossil club in Cincinnati. They have a free brochure on the fossils, but of more value is the guidebook "Excursion to Caesar Creek State Park in Warren County, Ohio: A Classic Upper Ordovician Fossil-Collecting Locality". This book has detailed stratigraphic and depositional environment data, as well as much greater fossil identification data.

Caesar Creek State Park is located north of State Highway 73 about 5 miles west of Interstate 71 from exit 38 (Oakland-Waynesville exit).

Regards,

Mike

Uncle Siphuncle

Here is the first good fossil I ever found, an Isotelus from the Caesar Creek Spillway. It was the summer of 1980 when I was 10.

post-22-1224461887_thumb.jpg

post-22-1224461912_thumb.jpg

lawooten
If you are interested in Ordovician trilobites and have never collected in Ohio previously, I would suggest that you start with the Caesar Creek State Park locality north of Cincinnati. There is a large exposure of the upper Ordovician marls and limestones of the Waynesville member of the Blanchester Formation in the spillway that contains large numbers of fossils, including some trilobites. Most of the trilobites that are found there are enrolled Flexicalymene meeki, although a few outstretched specimens may be found. Specimens of Isotelus maximus may also be found infrequently.

You must check in at the Visitor's Center to review collecting rules and regulations, and to sign a collecting permit to legally access the spillway. They have a nice fossil display of the fossils that may be found in the spillway locality. They also have some guidebooks published by the Ohio Geological Survey and by the Drydredgers, a fossil club in Cincinnati. They have a free brochure on the fossils, but of more value is the guidebook "Excursion to Caesar Creek State Park in Warren County, Ohio: A Classic Upper Ordovician Fossil-Collecting Locality". This book has detailed stratigraphic and depositional environment data, as well as much greater fossil identification data.

Caesar Creek State Park is located north of State Highway 73 about 5 miles west of Interstate 71 from exit 38 (Oakland-Waynesville exit).

Regards,

Mike

Mike thank you so very much for the info. I am leaving tomorrow earlier then I figured and was afraid I would not have a location to go to.

Thanks from Linda

lawooten

Thank all of you very much I am leaving tomorrow and had thought I had more time to look for sites before I took off. Your a life saver again thanks.

From Linda

Uncle Siphuncle

About 15 mm wide. It was a killer find for a 10 year old. I found it 20 minutes into my first hunt there, and I remember my Dad saying, "Hey, I've been looking for a trilobite for 20 years!"

Guest solius symbiosus

Haha! A few years ago I was hunting with my young daughter at an outcrop that I had been to numerous times, but never found "hide, nor hair" of a trilobite. After a while, she asked, "what's this". She had found most of the pygidium and thorax of an Artinurus sp.

Anyway, nice find.