Egg Or Concretion?

Egregious

Yes, it does seem to be a chert nodule with a thick weathering rind. Decomposing organic marine detritus is frequently the trigger for nodules like this to soldifiy but it's not a fossil as such.

Egregious ...

No need to apologize if this is nothing ...It's something

It is an egg-like chert nodule ... often referred to as a Pseudofossil

Pseudofossil (Wiki): Click Here

Here's a link showing several examples of egg-like nodules (Pseudofossils)

Click Here

:)

PS: Possible egg is a very common post on The Fossil Forum

Don't feel bad ... It does look like an egg

:D

Thank you very much for this information. I always defer to the experts. This concretion still seems much more "egg like" than the examples I have seen today. I suppose this is because it has been in the creek bed for thousands(?) of years.

This was found at a location we call Worm Rock Farm because of the abundance of rocks that appear to be "worm ridden".

I can post photos of these rocks if anyone is interested.

Thank you for being so kind.

Cheers,

EB

trilobiteruss

Yes I agree with Indy, do not apologize for sharing, that is how each of us learns. And it is indeed something. Yes do post the worm rocks I am wondering if these are what we call trace fossils, burrows that may indeed be made by worms.

russ

Yes I agree with Indy, do not apologize for sharing, that is how each of us learns. And it is indeed something. Yes do post the worm rocks I am wondering if these are what we call trace fossils, burrows that may indeed be made by worms.

russ

Yes I too would be interested to see these worm rocks . Welcome to the forum

I think it is incredibly WONDERFUL that you take your daughter fossil hunting with you! We have a limestone dolomite here that is riddled with worm burrows and just plain holey besides! So, I do am excited to see your other rocks!

Bev :)

PS And welcome to the Forum!

• 9 months later...

I use my Dinosaur concretions I found here in Seymour Tennessee, hundreds of them in one spot, I put them in my garden for decor or my favs on a book shelf. I thought I had found dinosaur eggs myself, guess I was wrong, but I have fun going once a wekk to my spot and finding new ones the rains push out of the ground

I found tons of these literally on top of the ground in my town Of Seymour TN; I called the local college Geology, thinking I had found dinosaur eggs, I was so excited, but without even asking for pics I was told they were concretions, oh well, now I just use them as landscaping stones in my yard or on my cabinet as curiosities

I don't think I remember ever seeing a post

asking if what someone found was a dinosaur egg ...

and it ended up being a dinosaur egg.