Lets See Your Big Shells

Terry Dactyll

Hi guys, I've been collecting giant fossil tridacna for 20 years. Some of my clams are up to 400 kg but just before Christmas I received a clam that is the biggest I've ever seen! It weighs in at a staggering 612 kg (both sides are still attached by fossil rock which I estimate weighs around 100-140 kg) Is this a world record? Will upload photos, this must be the world's biggest clam surely?

How do I upload a photo on this site?

Best

Volker Bassen

When you click the 'Reply' button, there is another one that says 'More Reply Options' - click that. Then 'Add files', then find your pic, wait for it to load, then 'Add reply'.

The gist: click on to enlarge:

post-423-0-08831300-1377903292_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What is "3" pointing to?

The "Add to Post" button, which does not appear until the end of step 2.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I thought that showing something that wasn't visible until 2/3rds the way through would be disconcerting to someone who'd never done it before. I shows up when it's time to use it, so I pointed to where it would be. ;)

Ps, the single clam on the scale with my mate behind it

weighs 192 kg!! I read that the largest tridacna ever found weighs in at 240 kg, was that a single shell or both together?

If its both together then mine is almost twice the size right? Furthermore, there was one clam that sold for

+30.000$ on Christie's auction, why the high price? Was it because of the size?

Looking forward to your replies fellow fossil lovers : )

Volker.... Fabulous....That must be the biggest clam in the world its huge.... Looking at the photo's presumably you come across the clams as you are quarrying building stone?.... I can see you have amassed a serious stash of shells there, very impressive.... Once you have extracted them from the rock what prepwork do you do to them to make them look as crisp looking as the biggest?... lots of questions I know but all very interesting...Thanks for sharing them with us....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I second Steve's thoughts...

Volker,

This thread is quite impressive :o:wub: and any additional photos and info would be of a big interest, much more if the pics would be clearer and of a higher resolution... ;):)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

This is a 20cm (7 1/2 inch) Volutomorph sp. from the Campanian North Sulphur River, Texas----Tom

post-3940-0-61194600-1378057260_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

• 1 year later...

Great topic! Fantastic fossils! Really like those oysters, Astron, as well as the gastropods. Nandomas, yours are gorgeous.

Here are two of my "big" shells. The first I tentatively ID as a Strophomena brachiopod hinge. I found this in a pile of quarry rocked dumped on the Lake MI. shore, formation unknown, though I'm pretty sure it is mid-Devonian:

attachicon.gifFossils Feb 2013 015.JPG

7.5cm at it's widest point

The other is Amussium sp., lower Pliocene of Almeria (Spain), acquired in a trade. Please feel free to chime in with the species name:

attachicon.gifFossils Feb 2013 021.JPG

8.5cm x 9.0cm

Thanks!

check this one out:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/50152-hi-im-trying-to-identify-this-fossil-i-found-in-new-york-state-looks-like-the-bottom-of-a-mushroom/#entry539274

Phialopecten marwicki, Te Mata peak, New Zealand.

3.5 MYA(late Pliocene) Can't say out right how big it is, I'll measure it as soon as I can.

post-15455-0-64841100-1414204196_thumb.jpg

-Lyall

• 3 weeks later...

here's a couple.

post-2520-0-95592400-1415753780_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-06070600-1415753795_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-67097800-1415753818_thumb.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 months later...

Archived