Handbook Of Paleoichthyology-Volume 3E-Cappetta, H.-Mesozoic And Cenozoic Elasmobranchii: Teeth --

non-remanié

The new testament, aka Henri Cappetta's latest shark tooth bible in the Handbook of Paleoichthyology series is out. Anyone have it yet? I have been waiting a while for this but 360 Euro... yikes!!!

http://www.pfeil-verlag.de/ef1.html

Handbook of Paleoichthyology

Volume 3E

CAPPETTA, H.:

Chondrichthyes · Mesozoic and Cenozoic Elasmobranchii: Teeth

2012. [in English] – 512 pp., 459 black-and-white figures.

30.3 x 21.5 cm. Hard cover

ISBN 978-3-89937-116-1

Euro 360.00

series: Handbook of Paleoichthyology

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Happy birthday Alex !

Last year, I was offered his 2006 work for my 50 years birthday. http://www.euronet.n...ckhuys/cafo.htm (about 160 € with S. & H.).

But for this one, the price is so raised that I am going to have to wait to ask for it for my 80th birthday ! But would I still be in capacity to read it and to use it ? :wacko:

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

well it looks like a consensus is forming ;)

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

The first one was at least $300 when it was new back in 1987. That was expensive then, prompting David Ward to end his otherwise positive review in JVP with "Pity about the price." I'm not sure what 360 euros is in USD but I think it's at least $450 and that does qualify for a "Yikes!" from me too.

However, this one is supposed to have photos (not just drawings) and dentitions (not just single teeth). It might be time to cash in a megalodon or two to reel this one in.

Jess

I wonder if the price high because they don't sell a large enough volume to keep prices lower. Not like it sells millions of copies where the price can be $12 at your local bookstore or Amazon. I think a price of $150 would be much better, and something more of us could afford.

Daryl,

Yeah, look at "The Evolution of the Insects." That book is over 700 pages, covering a much more diverse group, and contains numerous excellent illustrations (photos of fossils and modern insects including shots of micro specimens). Yet, it was in the $80-120 range when it was released.

I think the publisher is just stretching for every euro. The book will sell but maybe only several hundred copies (low thousands?) over time. The average paleontologist or fossil collector might have to pass on it until it can be found secondhand or received as a gift.

You're right. At $150 I would put it on a credit card. At $450 I'm left hoping I will be able to put that together sometime next year.

I'm planning on going to Tucson next month. Maybe Black Hills or another dealer will have a copy to look at.

Jess

I wonder if the price high because they don't sell a large enough volume to keep prices lower. Not like it sells millions of copies where the price can be $12 at your local bookstore or Amazon. I think a price of $150 would be much better, and something more of us could afford.

• 2 months later...

I've got it :-). It's definitely a handy work when you're looking for a general description of a genus. Seems as if the work of some Russian scholars is being appreciated a lot more in this book. There are -contrary to the previous edition- tons of plates in this book, some of them which are copied from the original articles (with consent of those authors, I presume). When he lists species after describing a genus, not all species are represented among that genus while not even discussing why they are not in the list, which is strange and somewhat sloppy in my opinion. It is however, very interesting because he (re)introduces several genera.