18 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

I am always on the hunt for virgin shark tooth sites. I survey creeks and rivers for places to hunt. Part of my fun is having fossil heads meet up. I go on weekends. If you interested in hunting for sharks teeth, send me a message. If you have a site and would like some company, let me know.

Edited by Lee Taylor, 07 July 2013 - 08:35 PM.

#2 CBK

CBK

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Hey Lee, Sorry I missed the invite! I'd love to sift some sometime. I just bought a pair of waders and am waiting for an excuse to try them out.

#3 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

Glad to see your post CB. I have (11) sites targeted.

(8) Creeks.
(3) Edisto river wade-ins

I can go Saturday or Sunday. If you like I will send details.
I have my scoops, sifters, wetsuits, and waders on hot stand-by.
Always happy to hook-up with another fossil head.

Here are some local creek teeth I picked up a few months back

Posted Image

Edited by Lee Taylor, 06 December 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#4 CBK

CBK

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

I could certainly accompany you this coming weekend. I've got a sifter and shovel at the ready- all I need is a when and a where!

#5 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

See if the Google maps I sent over will open. I say we target Saturday for starters. I am guessing we should target a 1pm meet at the first site or at a fast food restaurant close by. The water level in the river is perfect given the water temp is tolerable. The creeks should present no problem given the waders. The days have been warm and dry lately so we should be good to go.

My fabricated sifter, ready for action

Posted Image

Edited by Lee Taylor, 06 December 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#6 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I surveyed four sites today. They were all a bust. There is always tomorrow

#7 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

I just bought a pair of waders and am waiting for an excuse to try them out.

Tried out my waders yesterday for the first time. They worked better than expected. Did not find much. Me and two other fossil heads are hitting Great White creek today. I am expecting some teeth today. Will be satisfied with a handful of Hemi's and Tiger's and if a Mako or GW pops up, it will be a great day.

#8 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Did not find a lot today. Mostly teeny teeth. My first Squalodon juvenile tooth. Turtle shell. Dugong bone. Hemi. Sand Tiger. One of the guys brought some teeth he found earlier this season. He just wanted to see us drool.

Teeny Teeth
Posted Image

One of the other guys Edisto river specimens
Posted Image

Edisto River Black Beauties
Posted Image

#9 Justin H

Justin H

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Lee, my name is Justin. I am going to be moving down to Mt. Pleasant the first week of May. I would love to meet up with you and get to know some of the other local fossil hunters. I was down your way this past weekend and had a great luck on the Wando. I only had a couple of hours to hunt for teeth, as my main mission was house hunting.

I am going to be bringing my little boat when I come. I would love to explore the rivers down there with you. I have scuba gear as well, but I really enjoy hunting the edge of the marsh grass. I have read just about everything there is to read about all of the areas down there and have spent countless hours scoping out spots on google earth. I can hardly wait to get there for good.

I have tons of teeth tha I have found in Virginia, but I am ready to expand my Low Country collection that I started this past weekend.

#10 Justin H

Justin H

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I did manage to find a nice 2 3/4 inch lower mako, a 2" angy and a handful of small teeth of my first excursion. I snuck out of the hotel while the other half took a cat nap, hahaa.

#11 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

good deal Justin. Just look me up anytime. I am not hard to find. I am always looking for fossil heads to hunt with. i will probably be motoring and hunting the Edisto river way before the water gets warm. Did you see the 5.2 inch Meg that Mudduck found in his subdivision? It is posted here on FF somewhere. I can hook you up with the scuba fossilers, local dive shop, and some of the shark tooth heads.

Edited by Lee Taylor, 03 January 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#12 Justin H

Justin H

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Thank You. I look forward to meeting some folks down that way. I will certainly get in touch with you when I get in the area. I am super excited. I didn't see that tooth, but I will search for it now. I a, thinking about changing my occupation to a pond and pool digger :)

#13 armyguy2032

armyguy2032

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

hey my name is brad and my wife and 2 kids love to fossil hunt. we just never know where to look. lol

we were wondering if you would like to help us out and go with us sometime we are in beaufort sc.

we are always looking for people to go collecting with its a blast and the kids love it.

if you can help us or give us really good directions please email me.

thank you very much

brad osborn

#14 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Headed down to Edisto Island this Sunday Brad.

Plan to shark tooth hunt Jeremys inlet
Jerimey_zpsb6fabcf7.png

Different view same inlet
JInlet_zps75ac5b16.jpg

Will also hunt this Jetty at the far end of Edisto Island the same day
Jetty_zps5c1a0022.png

Most of the sites I am currently working are in the Edisto and require Scuba.

Without scuba one can kayak, canoe, jet ski, or jon boat any river between Charleston and Savannah. Go when the water is low and slow. Look for gravel beds. Search the beds. You will find fossils there.

Here is a video of a dive site we are working this season. Listen to my scuba pal say that the water level is 9' but last time he was here it was 3'. You need to go when the water is 3' or less. Real time water level gauges can be found on the internet. Try NOAA

Edited by Lee Taylor, 30 July 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#15 kkborch

kkborch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Had a great time with Lee at Edisto Beach. Didn't find much but the area is very nice and we enjoyed it. Lee was kind enough to introduce me to hunting creeks in Summerville and now I'm addicted. Before, hunting teeth was just something I did when I went to the beach. Then I started going to the beach specifically to search for sharks teeth. Now I find myself in the creeks fighting off insects and snakes just for the next nice tooth. I've only been to the creek he showed me 3 times, but have found more teeth in 3 trips to the creek than I did all summer (about 20+ trips) at the beach. Below are some pics of the teeth I've found since I've started collecting a few months ago.

Unfortunately, I will be moving out of state sometime in October and only have a few good weeks left to enjoy the hunt and I'm trying to find new/better sites to search. I've done about all the research I can possibly do from a computer and I'm finding that exact information is hard to come by. No one wants to give up their honey holes, and rightfully so. I've resorted to doing things the hard way, scouting and searching areas myself and have had a little luck. Actually found my first ever meg (fragment) on accident. I was hoping someone here would be kind enough to give up a specific site or possibly even meet up and go hunting with us (my girlfriend and I). I enjoy meeting new people and think it would be really fun. As I said before, I will be leaving soon so if you are willing to give up a really good land site, I won't be able to pick it over! lol. I won't disclose its location, litter, or anything like that. I'm also aware of the digging laws in Summerville so I've been searching outside the city limits. Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_0934.jpg

Just where I keep all the small and broken stuff

IMG_0937.jpg

Edited by kkborch, 16 September 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#16 nosaj

nosaj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Wow this is amazing! I really hope to be driving through SC on my way to Washington DC in late November this year..What is the chances of me finding anything this time of year or is it a seasonal thing?

#17 kkborch

kkborch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

Planning on canoeing the Edisto this Saturday. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know! Will post pics after the trip.

#18 dmanger

dmanger

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just missed your trip but I'd love to meet up for an edisto trip in the near future and start learning about the hunt for shark teeth. 

#19 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hello KK Borch,

I found your photo showing the bowl of teeth (on Google images) and it led me here!  It seems to be a vicious circle. Your photos are NICE indeed! Keep hunting!

Edited by Lee Taylor, 30 December 2013 - 01:40 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sharks teeth, charleston sc, fossils, creek hunting, river hunting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users