Miocene, Eastern Pacific, Deeep Water Fishes

PRK

I see a lot of posts of eocene fresh water, green river fish from Wyoming so. I thought I'd post some of my Miocene marine, deep sea fishes, from California

Argyropelicus ( eastern pacific hatchetfish), and baby deep water flatfish

This is all the pics i can get in one post now.

post-9950-0-30549100-1354740290_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Really nice specimens!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I take it these are Sisquoc Fm. diatomite specimens from the Santa Barbara area?

Sorry, I am on vacation in Vietnam and only have a small Blackberry with me.but I think only the last fish is an Argyropelecus. The first fish might be an Antigonia. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/18155-antigonia-sp/

I will try to find out what they are when I am back in Shanghai.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I have lived in the PNW now, almost 40yrs. When I still lived in calif I had access to some great Miocene deep water fish locales . I mean deeeep water, no sunlight.

these small fish used "light organs" to produce their own light. Blinking them on and off for communication. They used a non heat producing chemical reaction called "bioluminescence". here are a couple of those fish, with those bioluminescent organs still preserved after millions of years. They can be clearly seen as small dots along the posterior ventral line of the fish.

These fish are called Cyclothone sp. ( bristlemouth). I spent hundreds of hours collecting these and a large variety of other types of fishes from those deep water locales, Almost all were small but well worth the trouble, as most of these collecting sites don't exist anymore

Cyclothone sp.

post-9950-0-55782500-1354837503_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK
  • I found this Informative 1

These fishes were usually collected as a "salvage" process, as those locales were exposed for a relatively short time, being the foundation excavations for large buildings around the Los Angeles basin, and permanantly covered over within a couple months. My partner and I spent many hours feverishly gathering what we could find that was worth salvaging, and all working weekends or after hours so as not to get in the way of the workers or equipment. There are now immense buildings erected on these locales. some are even second generation structures, and almost all sites are impossible to recognize due to newer housing tracts or golf courses, most have many new streets or the streets have even been entirely rerouted.

most of the material collected went to the big museum in LA, but I kept a few of my favorites. there were no official records on the paleo/archaeo salvage at that time, so when the "higher ups" realized what was being lost, this kind of "salvage" work helped lead to the EIR laws of today in calif, starting in Orange County and expanding throughout the state

How much paleo info was lost in the 80yrs previous, 15mill population. We will NEVER know

Oh well "better late than never." I guess?

Unident deep water flatfish-----

post-9950-0-56035900-1354908076_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

PRK,

These fish are awesome, and rescued as well - Doesn't get any better than that. :)

Keep them coming.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

BOY, Did I pay for the fish from this locale. They were constructing a parking lot right through a great patch of fossil bearing diatomite. I collected there a couple days over a weekend. it was full of great deep water fishes I even came across a 2x2foot mass of seaweed with small DW fish intermingled within.. However unbeknown to me, I did not recognize the terrible problem in store for me.

Within a few feet of the surface, the plant roots had penetrated along the bedding planes creating large flat masses of roots. So to collect the fossils I had to pull up and scrape away those root mats. It was warm in S calif at the time and i only had on short sleeves. So as to not damage the fossils within those softish blocks of rocks, and to save time during the salvage work, I pulled the roots out by bare hand and then wiped away the remaining dust, dirt, and pieces of root with my forearm.

Well---I was sorry about those actions. The next evening, as I was showering off the dirt and grime from my satisfying and successful weekend collecting, and noticed a rash on my forearms. I just wrote it off to the regular abrasion from collecting that day.Turns out, the problem was, it was POISON OAK. The poison is a resinous oil and cannot be washed off.

It was a warmish wintertime in so cal, and i can recognize poison oak, above ground, but the poisonous juices had retreated down to the roots for the dormant winter sleep. By this time it was too late. I had already rubbed my eyes, scratched my nose(even inside), fiddled my ears( even inside), not to mention going to the bathroom. Needless to say--- I came down with the worst case of poison oak I've ever heard of. I had it everywhere!! I don't know about now, but back then there were no meds to help. I was in "AGONY" for 16 days, before recovering enough to function relatively properly, even though I had giant raspberries everywhere, and still have scarring. Needless to say I NEVER! went back!!!!

HOWEVER------ the fishes I did manage to collect we're the best preserved deep water fish I've ever seen.

Ive posted These Lampynicthes(lantern fish) before but this thread is much more appropriate.

post-9950-0-61475800-1355084134_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Oh yes, and the ever popular Xyne grex, that shows up in almost ALL miocene marine sediments of S. calif. 2x2 ft plate. The other is a mass mortality plate I recovered nearby.

post-9950-0-81752000-1356120685_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

That's a nice collection! I've never found any fish, just teeth from South Carolina. I've encountered my fair share of stinging nettles and poison oak, but not to the extent of your exposure.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Even tho this small but well preserved fish was found in a deep water environment and along side other deep water species, it is not a deep water fish. it probably drifted from shallow water out into deep water with a floating mat of seaweed. The juvenile fish then died and drifted to the bottom where it was quickly buried by the fine grained mud, resulting in its superb preservation. Due to its "extreme" juvenile state a valid ID of this fish cannot be determined, as many of the adult characteristics are not yet present.

Cf. possibly (Rythmiasidae)?

post-9950-0-99729700-1355374621_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Anchoya? or you mean Anchovy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchovy? Don't think this fish being a Clupeiformes.

May be a Gadidae, a codfish: Eclipes manni Jordan?

post-2081-0-82634100-1355803013_thumb.jpg

post-2081-0-23840300-1355803699_thumb.jpg

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Are you interested in this publication from Lore Rose David - rather old but still usefull ( I think)? Nearly 200 pages. Just let me know. Too large to attach here.

post-2081-0-79862000-1355803982_thumb.jpg

Edited by oilshale

Don't have any ideas, but a cutie. Approx. 20mm. Most Miocene deep water fish are tiny, prob. A food source thing?

Possibly another juvenile flatfish

post-9950-0-51584100-1355854333_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

...Most Miocene deep water fish are tiny, prob. A food source thing?

If we can rule out a preservation bias (ie: the big ones were scavenged because they took too long to become buried), it probably comes down to it being an environment with there being no advantage to being big.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

LINK to another PDF & alternate formats.

Also this one Fossil Fishes of the Diatom beds of Lompoc CA.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Here is another from the diatomaceous chert. Miocene pipefish

these postings get buried so quickly, no one will prob see this. But its a Cool fish from LA area, So ill prob repost!

post-9950-0-26651600-1355980112_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK
  • I found this Informative 1

PRK,

Now THAT is a cool fish! B)

Is it a pipefish?

I'm really impressed with your collection, and the fishes from CA are beautiful. :wub:

I don't think you need to repost that any where else - Every post here will move it back up in the view new content area where most of us look for new stuff.

I would encourage you to start creating some folders in the Gallery area, to give greater audience to your pics - many people come here just for the pics!

Hope you've got more to share!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19