Favorite Dig!

Rummy

:DI thought it would be interesting and fun to have a topic about your most memorable or favorite dig and/or find.:D

My favorite Dig was last summer when I got to go to South Dakota and dig dinos with Pete Larson. On that dig I found a cervical rib head, an allisouras tooth, a scapula the size of a person, and tons of rib fragments. I was volentering, and only was allowed to keep smaller fragments, but it was still the best dig I've went on!

MY (humble) COLLECTION: http://picasaweb.google.com/Fsrumm

R

I thought it was cool the time I found a 4 inch flint knife, horse jaw, sloth tibia, and a human skull. Other than that finding good hunks of mammoth tusks has been pretty cool.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest N.AL.hunter

That is a hard question to answer. I've spent 6 weeks sleeping in the back of my truck collecting in Wyoming, Utah and Colorado and found wonderful mammal skulls/bones, trilobites, insects, plants ... But also had a wonderful time when they were constructing a new highway in Mississippi and uncovered Cretaceous shark's teeth, mosasaur teeth plus numerous other items. Went there to dig whenever I could until the construction closed the site. 3000 shark teeth in one day by me and three of my students at the time. One great dig in Coon Creek of Tennessee when my wife and I had great luck in finding over 40 species of beautifully preserved speciemens of mollusca. As I said, it is a hard question, and I could have added more digging trips.

I'm still bugging the medical examiner's office on that skull.

As for best virgin sites personally discovered I'd also have to mention the Corsicana site (Maastrichtian) which gave up ridiculous numbers of well preserved echinoids, crabs, ammonites, nautiloids, gastropods, bivalves, and a few shark teeth. Too bad that site is now graded over.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."