Fossil Screening- Screen Box

Major

Have any of you guys ever made a screen box? If so, care to tell how and possibly show pictures?

Or links would also be helpful.

Thanks!

Turok1copy.png

I have made a few. I usally get pine boards, 1x2. Then cut the lengths to the size of the box you want to make. I predrill the corners then screw the boards together. once the box is made I added 1/4 mesh, got it at home depot. I took small washers and 1 inch wood screws and screwed the mesh down to the wood. The washers help hold the mesh down when you screw the screw in.

I dont have a site that I know of to show the steps. Its not too hard. I will have to dig mine out to take a pic

i go to the store and buy one of those screened colander thingees that you wash spaghetti in. then i screen for fossils with it. then i don't wash spaghetti with it.

I followed the directions that I found here:

http://www.blackriverfossils.org/Sifter/ta...79/Default.aspx

It worked our very nicely. I used a shorter drawer and 1/8" mesh for mine as well as the smaller noodles. When it was filled up it sunk a little bit so I would suggest sticking with the larger noodles. I think the total cost was about $20 and I still have enough screen to make 4 or 5 more.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Depends on what you are going to use it for. If you are going to be dumping loads of heavy gravel, then the wood frame is the way to go. For walking streams or beaches where I'm going to do light screening, I made one with 3/4" PVC pipe and elbows, 1/4" mesh. Connect the hardware cloth to the pipe with cable ties. Cover the edges with cheap floating noodle from the dollar store. A few cable ties or a small diameter nylon line wrap will keep these on. Tie a nylon or polypropylene rope to it so it won't get away in the stream or surf. In the surf on the Chesapeake, the wave action does half the sifting for me. If you want, depending on the size of material you are looking for, you can make one with 1/2" mesh that fits inside the one with 1/4" mesh. I made one about 1' square and one 2' square. Cheap and easy as long as you know how to glue PVC (which should be done in a very well ventilated area away from any kind of sparks or flames).

Also, depending on the size of the material you are looking for, Walmart sells a small white rectangular plastic strainer with about 1/8" holes for about $3.25. This one is really light and portable. I drilled the holes on one to 3/8" round and another to alternating 3/8" & 1/4". I'll set my wife up in a chair at the beach with an umbrella, bring a bucket of gravel, that I've screened through my 1/4" 2' screen and she'll sit there and find some of the small shark's teeth, like angel shark, cow shark and porpoise teeth while I walk the beach.

Odds are other the mesh which you can buy inexpensively at any hardware or home improvement store, you probably have some materials lying around the house, garage or workshop that will let you put something together.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Tracer, I like how you don't wash spagetti with yours.

Regarding the various sizes, have you guys ever thought about permanently attaching a screen with large mesh and having an insert with a smaller mesh that you can pop in depending on the material you are working?

i go to the store and buy one of those screened colander thingees that you wash spaghetti in. then i screen for fossils with it. then i don't wash spaghetti with it.

You shouldn't be washing spagetti anyway. cook, drain and eat.

Archived