What Is The Best Way To Handle Clay?

Mudduck

Being a novice, I have learned a few things when looking for teeth. Mainly searching on land and at the edge of ponds, creeks, ditches ect...

I have found areas that have lots of clay. I am convinced that there is a lot of teeth in that clay. When I try sifting the clay, it is so dense that it does not strain and it is hard to find anything because everything is the same color. I can feel items when I grap or walk in the clay. I just know I am missing some very good and quality items.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

I have found teeth in the clay...but was by accident. I was feeling around and found a nice tooth. Looking for an easier way to deal with the clay.

Secure a 5hp portable trash pump, fifty feet of 1.5" fire hose (or equivalent blue hose), and a fire hose nozzle. Blow away the overburden, then slowly wash away the underlying clay. Interrupt the washing frequently to look for fossils being exposed.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks, but I don't always have access to water. Sometimes I do in the creeks, ditches and ponds but most of the time I do not. I guess the feeling method maybe the best action to take. It just takes a long time to process a small area.

I think, unless you own the property (or have an arrangement with the owner), potentially destructive "advanced extraction methods" might be a bad idea.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks, but I don't always have access to water. Sometimes I do in the creeks, ditches and ponds but most of the time I do not. I guess the feeling method maybe the best action to take. It just takes a long time to process a small area.

Squishing the clay in a screen works in water.

Bear-dog.