stubee5

Dinosaur Fossil Localities Near Glendive And Jordan Mt

stubee5

i am going on a trip to montana and alberta in june and i am wondering if there are any localities where i can collect dinosaur fossils. please include directions and type of fossils found there.

JimB88

good luck with that. Most land in Montana is private and the professionals like to keep most private collectors out.

Auspex

Yes, unless you know a landowner, and have their permission, you have no legal way to collect vertebrate fossils there in Montana.

Edited by Auspex

stubee5

i believe you can collect on the surface and in the ground no deeper than 2 feet

Auspex

Yes, unless you know a landowner, and have their permission, you have no legal way to collect vertebrate fossils there in Montana.

I just realized how unclear I was: I was referring to the Montana part of your trip. Sorry for any confusion :blush:

jpc

I think I've said this before, but finding dinosaur bones is easy... finding places to legally collect them is very difficult and time-consuming. I will respectfully disagree with JimB88... much of MT is indeed public land. The western half of the state is largely public, and dino collecting on public lands is illegal, unless you have a permit. Fortunately, the dinosaurs are mostly in the eastern half, which has tons of private land. And some public land... still illegal. Getting permission from landowners to collect dinosaurs on their place is tough. First you gotta find out where the Hell Creek, Milk River and Judith River Fms are... easy enough if you know how to read a geology map. Then you gotta find out who owns the land, a bit more difficult, then you gotta get their permission... this is where it gets tough. There are two great threads on this subject in the top of the General Fossil Discussion section... titled "Site Prospectung 101 and 102".

Now... Glendive, on the other hand is not a dino site so much as it is an ammonite site. If you get a BLM map of the area once you are in the area, it is legal to collect ammonites on BLM lands. The BLM maps show which land is BLM and which is other federal lands and which is private. Ammonites and other invertebrates are legal to collect on Federal land. I have never collected there, but I know there are some great ammonites to be found in the Bearpaw Shale near Glendive. Stay on BLM lands and you should be fine... that means no crossing private land to get there...

I will throw into the mix, that we westerners who have found places to collect dinosaurs and other vertebrate fossils do tend to keep them secret, since we have invested a lot of time and resources into finding them and cultivating a relationship with the landowners.

If you come to Wyoming, there is Paleo Park, north of Lusk where they let you hunt for bones, but they get to keep most everything. Google Paleo Park.

old dead things

I will echo what JPC says (yes JPC we can agree on some points) and we have broached this topic many times. IT IS ILLEGAL TO COLLECT VERTEBRATE FOSSIL(s) FROM FEDERAL LANDS (BLM, FOREST SERVICE,NATIONAL PARKS, ETC), UNLESS YOU HAVE A PERMIT (MOST USUALLY A COLLEGE OR MUSEUM). Even chunk-a-saur is off limits on BLM.

Jim

Old Dead Things

stubee5

i already know where egg mountain is, so i'm going there

stubee5

any good locations in the hell creek formation in general?

Opisthotriton

...When you say you're going to Egg Mountain, do you mean you're going to visit the museum in Choteau? Egg Mountain itself is on private land and even just walking in that area would be illegal trespassing. The area is also tremendously underwhelming when prospecting for fossils; the good stuff was collected long ago.

As people have stated above, all dino-bearing land in Montana is either government controlled or privately owned. The only way to legally collect fossils (whether you keep them or a museum does) is to join one of the pay-to-dig trips (google them) that have permission to hunt on private land.

stubee5

what about dinosaur eggs

trilobiteruss

what about dinosaur eggs

Still illegal on public lands, that is still a vertebrate fossil unlike the ammonites mentioned at Glendive area, some great ammonites can be found south of town on BLM land and it is ok to collect them.

Missourian

Now I know why I prefer to collect brachiopods down the street. :)