Palm Tree Or Hoax?

lamarr

Here is the response from the Okanagan Historical Society th_detective.gif

"The photo in question I am finding out is a cement replica of a crocodile that was placed along the path of the trail. Apparently there are other cement forms of other animals along the same path. I will look further but this info comes from a person who was there when the trail was first opened."

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Really!? Who would carry a concrete crocodile along a woods trail? Someome must have REALLY bored? :P:drool:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Well done, Scott!

I've really enjoyed following this topic :)

Now, about those other animals....

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a fascinating piece of info uncovered by piranha, that explains a lot. I wonder if the Hx Society folks have any photos of the "animals" as they originally were. I am also now curious in what era this project occurred.

Early in my career I worked at a very large institution that served persons with severe mental disabilities. It was located on a tract of land that contained almost 2000 acres. There were several ponds on the property and fishing was allowed for staff and patients. I once decided to try my luck at the "shallow" end of one pond. I avoided the customary spot with pier near the parking lot and set out through dense woods to where I judged the creeks feeding the impound entered. When I was deep in the woods, I encountered a wheelchair entwined in the undergrowth. It's condition suggested it had been abandoned there for many years. It was a singular, almost surreal experience. I imagine I would have been even more surprised, if it were a concrete croc.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I thought I had researched every angle as well! Good work piranha. Would really like to find why,where and when these " animals." were placed on the trail. Thanks to all forum members for the super effort to solve this mystery!

I am glad you all enjoyed the post. I will be hiking again soon if I find anything I will be sure to share that information.

Cheers

Here is the response from the Okanagan Historical Society th_detective.gif

"The photo in question I am finding out is a cement replica of a crocodile that was placed

along the path of the trail. Apparently there are other cement forms of other animals along

the same path. I will look further but this info comes from a person who was there when

the trail was first opened."

Piranha (Scott) is the man ~~

Chalk up (Yet Another) ... Mystery solved by Scott !!

For the benefit of new members ...

Never bet against the Piranha

:P

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

What happened to the rest of it? :zzzzscratchchin: I , too, would like to see more of the animals.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

i've seen two diferent petrified palms and i must say i dont think thats what this is..but i believe a fossil indeed