Very Interesting "mutation" In A Peice Of Carboniferous Bark... Help!

pecopteris

Here is one of my newer plant fossils from Poland.

Sigillaria bardii sp.

post-10261-0-85520500-1355546561_thumb.jpg

What is with the weird deformed part of the bark in the middle of the specimen? Can anyone elaborate? Is it the end of a growth cycle or somthing?

Thanks,

Peco

"PECO" (Pecopteris) - I specialize in Carboniferous fossils. I have a wide array of plants. In my collection at the moment: Ferns, Calamites, Syringodendron, Aspidaria and Sigillaria.

Very cool.

I've assumed that the variation in bark appearance was due to different layers being exposed, but that looks continuous across the whole specimen. If it's a mutation, it could give some insight into how the plant grew.

Context is critical.

Very cool.

I've assumed that the variation in bark appearance was due to different layers being exposed, but that looks continuous across the whole specimen. If it's a mutation, it could give some insight into how the plant grew.

That would be really cool!

"PECO" (Pecopteris) - I specialize in Carboniferous fossils. I have a wide array of plants. In my collection at the moment: Ferns, Calamites, Syringodendron, Aspidaria and Sigillaria.

My understanding is that this was a living tissue. If that is correct, do you suppose it's a scar ? I'm thinking something like a stress fracture of the trunk.

It is a very interesting pathology, though commenting on the probable cause is beyond the reach of what little I know.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Two ideas that come to mind for me, something was on top of it as it fossilized and deformed it. Or possibly its a node gone all weird.

what do you mean be a node?

Here is one of my newer plant fossils from Poland.

Sigillaria bardii sp.

post-10261-0-85520500-1355546561_thumb.jpg

What is with the weird deformed part of the bark in the middle of the specimen? Can anyone elaborate? Is it the end of a growth cycle or somthing?

Thanks,

Peco

I can't quit coming back and looking at this. Very interesting!

Is it possible to get a view of it looking across the surface, more from the edge of the piece, or maybe an oblique view?

Thanks!

Steve

Hi my friend

look here.....

http://forums-naturalistes.forums-actifs.com/t2437p15-sigillaria-et-zone-d-insertion-des-sigillariostrobus

Sometimes bark Sigillaria show variation at strobus scars, these strobes are attached to the main trunk and form areas crowns....

Best regards

http://i30.servimg.com/u/f30/13/00/15/73/pl_zon10.jpg

http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/13/00/15/73/pl_zon10.jpg

Bruno

Bruno, I don't want to diminish anyone else's lycopods (including mine :) ), but your specimens are second to none.

Context is critical.

Bruno, I don't want to diminish anyone else's lycopods (including mine :) ), but your specimens are second to none.

Thats for sure :D

Very interesting specimen! Congratulations! I hope someone will find a plausible explanation!

I think Sigillaria strobus scars look different:

http://www.thefossil...attach_id=62339

araucaria1959

Hi

You show us a Lepidodendron veltheimi sample of my collection ,this sample shows a big scar , this is a scar lateral branch fall !!!!!lepido15.jpg......

lepido16.jpg

img_2911.jpg

p6860110.jpg

The last sample is Kidston collection

Best regards

Bruno

Have you people never walked through the woods or cut fire wood. Trees are seldom pristine. Why is it so unimaginable that the thing just got bruised ?

My understanding is that this was a living tissue. If that is correct, do you suppose it's a scar ? I'm thinking something like a stress fracture of the trunk.

Hi friend

No fracture , Among this sigillaria bark , no pathology , the strobus scars are localized at the top of the plant , these strobus attachment show a crown like this .....

secundo ,I have a doubt about the specie : Sigillaria brardi belongs to the upper carboniferous level (wesphalian D ou Stephanian ) . However this sample comes from Poland ???

And I have a doubt about the specie name : Sigillaria brardii Brongniart ,in principle this specie belongs only to the upper carboniferous level (wesphalian D or Stephanian ) . This is more similar to Sigillaria mamillaris who is coming from Wesphalian B or C , a common specie from France ...

Sigillaria brardii (subgillariae group) have no rib

Sigillaria mamillaris (Eusigillariae group) shows ribs , "Pecopteris member" shows us a bark with ribs !!!!

Best regards

Bruno

leaf_a10.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

Good stuff Bruno. Well done!

Oh, and your fossils ... :drool:

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi friend

No fracture , Among this sigillaria bark , no pathology , the strobus scars are localized at the top of the plant , these strobus attachment show a crown like this .....

secundo ,I have a doubt about the specie : Sigillaria brardi belongs to the upper carboniferous level (wesphalian D ou Stephanian ) . However this sample comes from Poland ???

And I have a doubt about the specie name : Sigillaria brardii Brongniart ,in principle this specie belongs only to the upper carboniferous level (wesphalian D or Stephanian ) . This is more similar to Sigillaria mamillaris who is coming from Wesphalian B or C , a common specie from France ...

Sigillaria brardii (subgillariae group) have no rib

Sigillaria mamillaris (Eusigillariae group) shows ribs , "Pecopteris member" shows us a bark with ribs !!!!

Best regards

Bruno

leaf_a10.jpg

I agree these pictures show something similar, but without evidence of a crown how can you be so sure it's not some other kind of scar ?

Hi Rockwood

Why am I so sure !!!, because the Professor Zeiller wrote, sometimes these crowns strobus are organized in several generations, I showed my findings to the lille city museum and I could compare with specimens figured in the original literature.....

Best regards

Bruno

Thank you for all of this knowledge bruno! You are truly an expert!

He isn't called Doctor Trunk for nothing ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!