Lockatong Trace Fossil

hitekmastr

Happly Holidays to everyone and all the best for 2013...

Here's a trace fossil from our last Fall fossil trip - Lockatong - Triassic - not sure what this pattern represents. The rock is about 1 foot wide.

Here are some additional photos including a shot of the full rock, and some angles that show the thickness of the trace material and may give some clues to the consistency, etc. The opinions on what this might be are very interesting - as for me, I have absolutely no clue...

post-8709-0-17697800-1356061971_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-98272200-1356061993_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-02761000-1356062004_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-37693500-1356062034_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-75784900-1356062044_thumb.jpg

Edited by hitekmastr

Gnarly! The rock looks pretty tortured; is there a clear plane of bedding, or is it all stirred up?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There is another possibility ...

I live in the Pennsylvanian ... so take that as a disclaimer

:P

Your specimen reminds me of "Root molds" I've found

not exactly the same ... but similar.

Here's a couple images for comparison: LINK

In the posted picture ... I think I also see what could be

interpreted as smaller rootlet features.

Of course, Scott's suggestion in post #3 makes sense also

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Depending on the position of the bedding plane, a rock like this in the Lockatong is going to be interpreted as mud cracks, or root casts filled by mud.

Edited by phytosaur

If that's the I.D. - and it looks like it from the Internet imagery - this is what the creature that made it would look like:

Palaios_Thalassinoides.jpg

Thalassinoides is a complex trace fossil that is today made primarily by thalassinidean crustaceans (a type of shrimp). Burrows are made today by shrimp today, and paleo-experts are learning more about how ancient tunnel systems were excavated. This sample from the Lockatong Formation in Pennsylvania would be from the Triassic.

There are no thalassinidean crustacean fossils in the newark basin - it was a fresh water system, not marine. This is either mud cracks or root molds. most of the bioturbation in the newark group is done by roots.

-Ben

There are, however, reports of the ichnofossil Scoyenia in the Newark Supergroup.

That said, I am inclined towards root casts or mudcracks.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The traces are not deep like a tunnel, they are very "thin" which may suggest mud as you can see in the side view of the first photo - which shows how thin it is. Don't know if this is helpful....