Sign in to follow this  
MikeDOTB

The Alabama Eocene!

MikeDOTB

Hello Alabama (Natives and Visitores),

Alabama is now in my weekend driving distance for hunting and I would really like to meet some local fossil hunters for some searching if anyone would like some company. Rain or shine it takes some pretty severe weather to stop me and I am always up for an adventure.

I would also like to know if anyone could point me to some good places to view information on the local fauna from the Eocene and Cretaceous exposures. Just wondering what there is a possibility of finding out there while Im searching.

Well, hope to hear from people.

Regards,

Mike

jkfoam

Mike,

Alabama is a wonderfully fossiliferous state, especially with regards to Eocene fossils. Also good news are the publications available on-line from the Geological Survey of Alabama. This link, http://www.gsa.state.al.us/online_pubs.aspxm will lead you to Monograph 13. This publication is a very comprehensive discussion on the Eocene of Alabama and the Gulf Coast including locations and Plates for fossil identification.

Monograph 13 is titled "Stratigraphic Distribution of Paleocene and Eocene Fossils of the Eastern Gulf Coast Region" by L.D. Toulmin and published 1977.

Good luck

Jim

jkfoam

OK. Thy this link to get to the online publications; www.gsa.al.us/online_pubs.aspx This should work.

I don't know why but my computer inserted a"m" at the end of the posted origional link.

Maybe it's like me and had a senior moment.

Jim