A New Toy

Caleb

After quite a bit of looking around and testing some digital microscopes, my father and I finally bought one. We've wanted one for those tiny trilobite parts that are extremely difficult to photograph with a point-and-shoot camera. We went with a Dino-Lite and so far I'm quite pleased with it. There's a lot of features on the software and since I just got it today I'm still learning/playing. Anyway, I just thought I would share some of the results.

Trilobite eyes:

post-3840-0-11523700-1355878414_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-46111800-1355878416_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-31956800-1355878418_thumb.jpg

A hindia sponge:

post-3840-0-02503100-1355878453_thumb.jpg

Trilobites:

post-3840-0-52201400-1355878492_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-12699600-1355878495_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-19132100-1355878497_thumb.jpg

Oh my goodness.... If I got that, I'd have to get another external hard drive....

Context is critical.

Mine is an older Dino-Lite; it is immediately clear to me that they have improved the resolution greatly!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yo Caleb-

I talked to a rep for this outfit at SVP a few months ago. I was duly impressed. Cool little toy. I am on the verge of buying one for our museum, so I am glad to see your pix here. Nice trilos, by the way.

A year or so ago I purchased the Dino-Lite AM413T with Rigid Stand

Very pleased with it ... It is nice to focus the image on the monitor then "Click"

Takes a lot of guess work out of the process to capture images for sharing.

Built a little demo page illustrating the Dino-Lite and captured images: LINK

:)

There is a menu with links for demos on 2 other brands of these scopes

Click Here

Scrolling down you will see

Dino-Lite handheld digital microscopes

with several helpful links and YouTube links

Here's a cute short demo illustrating what to expect

in magnification ... CLICK HERE :)

The Dino-Lite is the Best ... and of course most expensive.

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

A year or so ago I purchased the Dino-Lite AM413T with Rigid Stand

Very pleased with it ... It is nice to focus the image on the monitor then "Click"

Takes a lot of guess work out of the process to capture images for sharing.

Built a little demo page illustrating the Dino-Lite and captured images: LINK

:)

Excellent, I'm definitely going to give that a read. I also got the stand for it, I thought it would be a must for taking clear shots. I guess I should mention the model:

Dino-Lite AM411T.

Edited to correct my horrible spelling mistake.

Edited by Caleb

Thanks all, I'm pleased with the results. One thing I did notice was that with the very close-up pictures the ring light was fine, but as I shot larger items an external light source was needed. All I had on hand was an LED lantern, so I will have to play a bit with the external lighting. I have many many hours of photographing and cataloging tiny trilobite parts ahead of me this winter. This unit will save me a LOT of time as opposed to using my point-and-shoot camera and hoping for good results.

ditto what auspex said. how much do these things cost now? i paid $350 for mine years back.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

ditto what auspex said. how much do these things cost now? i paid $350 for mine years back.

Numerous models to choose from

The one I chose (over a year ago) including the best adjustable rigid stand (#MS35B $99) Total cost at the time...around $700 ?? (with the toys) because I wanted a high end unit with "measuring software

and of course the more expensive $99 stand was a must have (for me)

Here's where I bought my Dino-Lite set up : CLICK HERE

Interesting and informative Dino-Lite Links on the this page

Scroll down ... Links below the text in RED

Dino-Lite handheld digital microscopes

CLICK HERE

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Ffor those of you with a macroscope you can also use a cheapo 5 mp camera held to the eyepiece for pics like this too.

Hmmm.... I'll try it with the iPhone tonight.

Context is critical.

Hmmm.... I'll try it with the iPhone tonight.

It's not just about the MBs; the lens will be the primary determiner of the resulting picture quality. Maybe the iPhone will do a good job, but I kinda' doubt that they designed it with more than snap-shot capability in that respect. Let's see how it does!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

It's not just about the MBs; the lens will be the primary determiner of the resulting picture quality. Maybe the iPhone will do a good job, but I kinda' doubt that they designed it with more than snap-shot capability in that respect. Let's see how it does!

I figured as much, but for some reason, I never thought to try it.

Context is critical.

Well, you have your assignment for tonight ;)

I'd like to know how the newer phones do at this.

Yes sir. :)

Hopefully the phone focuses on infinity when the sensor is up against the microscope. I think I know how to adjust the scope focus to 'infinity'.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

LOL great idea! So i tried it with my cheapo straight talk 1.3 mp phone. Hahaha it works. The only thing with more mega pixels you can zoom in even further using photoshop or simular program.

Below is a pic of a Pulalius Vulgaris fossil crab carapace using my macroscope and cheap phone camera. Note to try this with your phone you have to hold the camera a few inches from the eyepiece and steady with your fingers on macroscope head.

post-235-0-62551300-1355981104_thumb.jpg

Well, it worked fairly well with this ~0.5 mm foram:

post-6808-0-22237500-1355994084_thumb.jpg

Ammovertella sp.

Fontana Shale, Pennsylvanian

Clay County, Missouri

The main issue is holding the camera precisely and steadily above the eyepiece.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

I have used the technique of holding the camera up to the eyepiece a few times with decent results, but the versatility of this unit is very handy. It will take zoomed in photos as well as photos of the entire specimen, unlike a microscope. Granted the same results can be found with just taking a photo of the specimen and then a photo through the scope. However using the Dino-Lite will save me a lot of time being able to see on my monitor what the picture will look like before I take it. My project is to photo the many hundreds of small trilobite parts we have over the winter, so I think it will be very handy.

post-3840-0-53607900-1356007678_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-04564400-1356007681_thumb.jpg