Calif. Cambrian Marble Mountains Trilobites Etc.

PRK

Well looks like its time for a new post. please keep in mind MOST, of my collecting adventures were before the "digital" age, so a lot of my pics are reprints from photographs. Dadgumit !!! if i only knew----.HOWEVER, most of these fossils ARE in my collection. The pieces I'm showing in this thread are very recent pics. The vast majority of this Cambrian material(lathem shale) i collected was also given to the museum before my move north

these are pics of Olenellus clarki. The larger single trilo even has its opisthothorax preserved, a very rare occurrence

Part A below----------------------------------------------- I call the one in the last pic," SPACEMAN"

post-9950-0-75378900-1356041872_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-99756800-1356042111_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-01192300-1356126355_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Very nice. Scanned photographs can be great since most photographs are at a way higher resolution than what a video screen can show.

A very nice, and large, mass cephalon plate. Which even tho is very flat, probably indicates a slight depression in the mud where molted trilo parts accumulated within

post-9950-0-92221100-1356046072_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

A superbly preserved pygidial section. Only approx a centimeter in length, without the tail spine, And a very tiny cephalon. So small it missed being compressed flat by time and millions of pounds of pressure during the looong lithification process. Approx, 2.5mm

post-9950-0-92765600-1356047956_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-98584600-1356050722_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

A nice Olenellus fremonti. However I think it has been renamed since I collected this

image.jpg

That one is Mesonacis fremonti... congrats on the great find happy0144.gif

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Awesome collection of trilos!

You did get around, PRK, didn't you. :)

Thanks for posting them.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hers a couple more O. Clarki. They too stayed in LA. The black and whites were taken by a good photographer friend back in the '70s. He went totally blind within a few months of taking these photos, and subsequently passed about a year later. He was a Vietnam vet, and was another domestic casualty of agent orange. Ill never forget Richard. Nice guy.

post-9950-0-66363300-1356116416_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-22825000-1356116446_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

None that I know of. although just becuase I didnt find one doesnt mean they arent there. I do however have some very interesting ?????s, and parts of several of the more unusual trilos also. the more exotic trilos were unknown back then but NOW there are over a dozen varieties known from the lathem shale, along with many more types of animals

Here's a lower cambrian whatzit from lathem shale Mohave desert calif

post-9950-0-64419000-1356138561_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Beautiful specimens!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The trilo quarry. Note how the previous collector dumped his waste talus right on top of a VERY productive pocket of trilobites. ARGGGGGG!!

the lathem shale, trilo producing, marble mountains

I guess he was trying to hide that productive pocket from others.

• 2 weeks later...

Most trilos I find at the marble mountains cambrian lathem shale, the entire dorsal shield is usually not much more than a couple inches. However on my last trip there I found evidence they get much larger. This interesting cephalon is not complete, probably due to the molting process, but shows the incredible size these trilobites reached in the cambrian Lathem shale of calif. I saved this fragment because it represented such a extreme size. I think it extrapolates out to over 6inches across. ill post one more below for now.

post-9950-0-92169800-1357149276_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

So here is the other I promised. A lovely pair of well preserved cephalons. although I consider these to be very large, and well preserved, they are nowhere near 6+ inches. Note: the cambrian shale is quite uncooperative, and doesn't tend to split into large, even, plates properly.

post-9950-0-56329600-1357149962_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Most trilos I find at the marble mtns. the entire dorsal shield is usually not much more than a couple inches. However on my last trip there I found evidence they get much larger. Probably due to molting, this interesting cephalon is not complete, but shows the incredible size these trilobites reached in the cambrian Latham shale of calif. I saved this fragment because it represented such a extreme size ill post one more below for now I think it extrapolates out to over 6in across

There's those tiny hands again. :D

Lovely trilobites. Like everything else you've shown us. Amazing that you could give so much to museums, yet still have a world-class collection.

Don

I AM A DIGGER!!! i felt the museum should have the local fossils. So I gave the museum loads of good local stuff I didn't want to move, as I was off to a new life and new hunting grounds. But as you can see,I did keep some stuff tho.

Edited by PRK

May be uncooperative shale, but it still doesn't look as bad as the stuff I have to work with! Impressive piece anyway. I have a large cephalo and a large thorax/pyg from Cranbrook BC (not self-found) that are also quite large. I should get pics sometime...

• 2 weeks later...

Another Unusual soft body cambrian whatzit. Anybody have any ideas?

image.jpg

There are worms described from the Latham Shale but I think this might be Lathamoserpens (Latham Shale "serpent").

I found a paper describing this possible curved hyolith, although there is ample debate among the reviewers on its true affinities.

LINK

post-4301-0-26455100-1358230052_thumb.jpg

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png